cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband 'Leakage'

TomMulcahy

Broadband 'Leakage'

Just joined PN on 1Gb account. I seem to be 'leaking' broadband usage at a rate of 2Mb/Hour. I have blocked all unnecessary traffic through my firewall and stopped all automatic updates etc. Where can I find a detailed breakdown of usage ?
5 REPLIES 5
James
Grafter

Re: Broadband 'Leakage'

Hi there,
The view my broadband usage tool under your connection settings will give you a partial breakdown of your usage, but not to the level that you are looking for.
There will always be background noise on an internet connection, but generally not to the level that you're referring to.
Actually, looking at the last two days of your usage, you appear to have performed a whopped 22MB of data transfer.  Are you sure you're not misreading your, er, readings?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: TomMulcahy
Just joined PN on 1Gb account. I seem to be 'leaking' broadband usage at a rate of 2Mb/Hour. I have blocked all unnecessary traffic through my firewall and stopped all automatic updates etc. Where can I find a detailed breakdown of usage ?

The traffic is still sent to your house, so it still counts. Grin
You can tell PlusNet to block all but a few ports.
If you have wifi, is someone sharing your connection?
If you have Windows are you running a good virus checker?
PS I hope you appreciate that you have 1GByte - not 1Gbit!
So is that 2Mb/hour or 2MB/hour?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

You can see how much of each individual traffic type you have used on the VMBU tool, however if this is not sensitive enough the best thing to do would be to download the packet capture software WireShark. This will capture packets going through your PCs network interface and will be able to show you what program has sent each packet to which destination.
2mb an hour is more than usual background traffic but not enough to make me suspect you have a virus, I think that this is probably something like frequent checks from your mail client to the mail servers to see if there is anything new waiting.
Hope that helps,
TomMulcahy

Thanks everyone! I meant bytes instead of bits. I have only logged on to PN over the last few days, stayed logged on and checked my usage so 22Mbytes is a lot I think. I am new to broadband so would like to make sure my usage is necessary before I continue. Will try your suggestions
Regards Tom  Smiley
PS Spot on. Wireshark showed my problem/no problem logging on to PN website generates what I thought was leakage. Must have done it more often than I thought.
Thanks again
James
Grafter

Hi there,
It's actually not as much as you would think.  For example, my page on Facebook is about 2 MB (megabytes) in size.  It just depends on what you've been doing at the time.