cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Issues!!!!

stephR

Broadband Issues!!!!

Hi
Can someone please throw some light on exactly how long I'm meant to wait before I get a response in plain english rather than techno speak as to why I've still got no Broadband after nearly a week???
It was possibly Tuesday 5th October when I last got on line via Broadband, and then trtied to access it agin on Thurs 8th Oct - nothing!
I've completed all the checks I've been asked to ( thank you neighbour for allowing me to connect to your wifi ), the phone line still works, I've had update emails that don't really tell me anything, I've even been sent an email with a free dial up number, but seen as though the main phone socket is in the master bedroom, at the side of the wardrobe, its a bit tricky and inconventiernt to use it - but thankyou for the thought.
I've spoke to someone on the phone who said the fault would be escalated as it had gone over 72hrs since being reported. I've read the ticket thingy on my Plusnet account page and have no idea whatsoever what it means.
What nobody has suggested is that possibly its the actual router at fault. Sometimes the green power light comes on and sometime it doesn't. I have told the person on the helpline thsis although they didn't think the problem was with the router?Huh
I work from home 3 days per week - which I now can't do as I can't remote access my works systems, so I've had to find extra childcare for a set of 3yr old twins so I can go to work 5 days per work!!!!!!
My two teenagers cannot do their homework at home because their english and maths are all online work ( they're coping quite well with the tragedy of this! )
PLEASE SOMEONE RESPOND IN ENGLISH AND JUST TELL ME EXACTLY WHEN I WILL BE GETTING BACK ONLINE!!
8 REPLIES 8
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Broadband Issues!!!!

Hi stephR,
I've been looking into this for you and it's now got to the point where we may need an engineer visit. Before I can book that I just need to confirm whether you have tried an alternate router in the test socket.
Jojo Smiley
stephR

Hi Jojo
I haven't got another router, we tried my neighbours but her broadband is connected to an external modem ( she is with virgin media ) and we don't seem to know / have a wire to connect into my phone socket and her router.
Why does an engineer need to be called out if the phone line is working ? Would it not be quicker to replace the router Plusnet orignally sent me?
Many thanks,
Steph
chrisndave

hi. st. just a thought. but have got wired or wireless internet!, only i had this trouble where i could not get online, it was the modem, overheating, i sent aweay for a new one £6.99 and that done the trick. failing that try you dsl filters, thats all i can say good luck, and dont let em drag you down. dave.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Steph,
I've just arranged for another router to be sent to you. If that doesn't do it then I'll have to book an engineer as the tests carried out so far don't indicate a fault with our side, so it may well be on the BT network.
Jojo Smiley
stephR

Thanks Jojo, fingers crossed it'll work  Smiley
Dave - thanks for the message, im wireless, hopefully the new router will be the answer.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hope so, you should have it by the weekend Smiley
stephR

Hi Jojo
Well i m back on wireless  Smiley  The router came on friday and so far its working fine.
When I was with Virgin, I used to turn my router off at the end of the day and then turned it on the next day when I needed to work, mainly because of the adapter getting hot while its plugged in and I didn't want it to overheat and something nasty happen. Does turning it off and on affect the performance of the router ?
Steph
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Steph,
turning the router off once a day won't affect it, just make sure you do this by selecting disconnect via the router interface.
Jojo Smiley