cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Intermittent sometimes every 10secs

niallcampbell
Grafter

Broadband Intermittent sometimes every 10secs

I have been having issues for sometime now - I came across this on the TP Link site 

Q: My Internet drops frequently or Internet speed is too low, how can I infer if it’s in a bad line quality?

A: Please check your downstream SNR Margin and Line Attenuation circled in the picture. If SNR Margin is lower than 10dB or Line Attenuation higher than 45dB, your line quality is poor and may suffer from Internet dropping. In this condition, please contact your ISP to check your line quality.

Range of Downstream SNR Margin (For reference only)

10dB and below Bad and difficult to get Synchronization

11dB-30dB      Normal

30dB and above:  Outstanding

Range of Downstream Line Attenuation (For reference only)

20dB and below:  Outstanding

20dB-45dB:       Normal

45dB and above:  Poor and may suffer from Internet dropping

This is what mine is showing

SNR Margin (dB) 21 9.1
Line Attenuation (dB) 22 41

Any thoughts? I don't profess to understand all the technicalities I just want a consistent signal

57 REPLIES 57
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Broadband Intermittent sometimes every 10secs

This TPInk article is bizarre and should be ignored. 

May I suggest that you start again and explain your problem in as much detail as you can. Include which router you have and whether you are using a wired or wireless connection to your devices.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

niallcampbell
Grafter

Can you please help me to understand why it's bizzare and should be ignored?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

It is easier for people to help you if we know what the issue is, rather than an extract from a website that does not put things into perspective..

So the first thing to check is the quality of your phone line - dial 17070 option 2 from a corded phone - is it quiet, no crackles?

Next - are you connected wired or Wi-Fi?

We can then have an idea of how to help, or at least point you in a direction.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Take SNR as just one example. In th UK on BT systems this is initially set at 6dB On good lines this will be decreased to 3dB.  Mine sometimes drops to 2.8dB without losing sync. Suggesting that anything less than 10dB is bad is nonsense. 

Yours being 9 dB suggests that there are problems on your line and it has been increased, with a corresponding decrease in broadband speed to try to reduce the number of faults.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there @niallcampbell

I'd kind of agree in that the advice you're given isn't entirely helpful.

A high SNR margin would generally mean your line will be very stable (Unless there's a major fault somewhere), but it would also mean that your speed (sync rate) will be low.

With regards to the line attenuation, this is generally due to the length of your line or internal wiring (As wiring inside your property can increase the distance your broadband signal has to travel to reach your router).

I'd go as far saying that most lines should run at an SNR of 6db. In cases where a line is long, the SNR might need to be set at 9db and in rare instances (That I've seen at least) the SNR can be at 12db or 15db.

Testing your line is showing your line length at around 2.4miles, and your router in sync at 6.4mbps. It's near to the top of your estimates of between 2.5mbps to 6.5mbps. So I'd say the attenuation of 41 is about right.

It's possible your line is running at an SNR of 9db instead of 6db, because of the drops in your connection:

If the line remains stable, I'd expect the SNR to drop by itself to 6db.

Alternatively, feel free to nudge me in a few days if it's still stable, and I'll reset the line.

Finally, with regards to the SNR of 21db this is for your upstream speed. It's so high because your upstream sync rate is capped at 448kbps. Due to the technology at your exchange, we can't uncap it unless we order a relatively expensive product from our suppliers that we call Max Premium. It costs £7.83 per month and can be ordered here if you're interested.

I hope this helps. -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
niallcampbell
Grafter

Thank you Anoush for your reply and for attempting to explain it to a ludite like myself. 

Ok so the TP link advice is kind of right & wrong because of SNR margin and speed (sync rate) no wonder I get confused.

My main concern is the intermittent drop out that can literally be for 10 secs, reconnects, 5 secs, drops, reconnects etc... not sure how much it shows up on system  - is that what I am seeing in the image? My breaks in service? Are the session start etc... to do with me as well? 

Thank you for taking time out to look at this, I appreciate it.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah, in the graph above, the stop is when the connection is lost and the start is where it's regained.

It looks like it's more stable now, unless you're still experiencing drops today?

If the drops return I'd run through the steps in the troubleshooting guide here.

That should help rule out your internal wiring.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
niallcampbell
Grafter

Hi Anoush

Yes, just had some drops earlier. Had BT engineers out on Tues all internal wiring fine, they replaced very old BT box, tested from socket to router (new TPlink VR2800) - no drop on that part of line.

Only thing that happened after their visit when all was rosy, had a power cut , does that impinge on things?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It's possible that the power cut hasn't helped things. I've reset your line now to try to bring the SNR margin down a bit.

Can you reboot your router in 4 hours/tomorrow morning when you're up?

Let us know if you see any change in speed over the next 24 hours too.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

With regards to the drops you’ve had earlier today, did you notice any the lights flash or go out on your router at the time? (Apart from the lights that are supposed to flash occasionally)
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
niallcampbell
Grafter

Hi Anoush

Router too far away but lights on wifi extender on and off repeatedly (extender for guests) I am connected via ethernet cable but when I see lights on extender going out it corresponds with ethernet losing connection.

I have rebooted and can see at moment have a reading of 6.1 SNR margin.

Really appreciate your help

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hi @niallcampbell

Try  disabling (ie totally removing and turned off  ) the wifi extende equipment This equipment is known to sometimes interfere with routers and also wifi. 

The best method would be an Ethernet cable and a decent wifi access point , or direct connection by Ethernet.

Also do not turn off your router or reset it . If you feel you have to for some reason then make a note of when you d so  

niallcampbell
Grafter

Rebooted because Gandalf asked me too - as mentioned I am connected by ethernet

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

How's your speed now the SNR margin is at 6db?

You should be able to check the sync rate in your router settings.

I'm fairly sure that it's normal for the lights on a WiFi extender to flash, as it indicates that data is being transferred across your home network.

Since a lot of the drops you're seeing don't seem to be picked up by our radius server (the visual graph above), the drops might be a little closer to home, so it may be worth temporarily unplugging your WiFi extender and see if your computer connected via ethernet still loses connection?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet