cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Interferring with phone line? Help!!

martin2006
Grafter

Broadband Interferring with phone line? Help!!

hi all, hope someone can help
monday i came home and i had no phone or broadband and both were fine when i went out in the morning.
i called BT after checking the phone in the master socket and still all i had was a bit of noise but no phone and they said someone was checking it out.
after an hour or so i had my phone back and broadband all be it my profile had changed to 500 from 8128 on the bt speedtester but also had a hiss on the line.
BT phoned and said they need an engineer to gain access to the property to finish the repair
the BT guy called this morning and traced the hiss to when my router boots up and says the phone line is fine and look forward to the bill!!
i have a flitered face plate and we tried it with his filter and my original instead of the face plate and still the hiss comes back as soon as the router boots up.
can anyone tell me if this is my router thats at fault or could it be the broadband interferring some how, and could my router have caused me to lose my phone line.
i have attached a page from the router although the the 63 figure seems to be stuck as its always shown that even when james looked at it months ago he said it was to be disregarded and i have a screenshot from november and it said 63 then as well and speeds were fine, bit weird though
i gotta go to work now but any help would be very much appreciated
cheers
10 REPLIES 10
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Broadband Interferring with phone line? Help!!

So there is no noise on the line until you plug your router in and power it up? Are you using an extension lead from your 'phone socket to the router or is it quite short? Are you able to test with a different router to eliminate that causing the problem?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
martin2006
Grafter

hi Chris, i'll try and get my old router out the loft and give it a go. the cable from what was a filtered face plate by the front door, now the original face plate and a broadband filter thanks to the BT guy solving the problem??, is approx 15m long and is a high quality ADSL nation cable up into the loft and down to the router in my spare bedroom, but it has been there for a couple of years with good speeds, no noise and no connection drops.
but yes, the phone line hisses until i switch off the router and it immediately dissapears, switch it back on and its ok unitl it connects, ie all lights come on and it starts to hiss again.
Any ideas?Huh
cheers
Andy
martin2006
Grafter

hi Cris, this is the update.
i have changed router to safecom router i had
changed pc to laptop
chaged filter for different one, as did Bt ' i only know two wires mate' engineer.
put laptop next to master socket with new cable from filter to router
changed lead from router to laptop
still hiss on the phone line that stops when the router is turned off, but there is still a faint to significant crackle on my phone line with the router unplugged and only a corded phone plugged into the master socket filter although we couldnt hear that this morning
what do think from here
many thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I am not sure if you have done this but you need to plug the filter into the test socket with the phone and router attached and see if the noise is still there
martin2006
Grafter

hi Jim, thanks for the reply, it was one of the first things i did when i had no phone or BB on monday and tested the corded phone in the master socket with just the filter and no broadband connected and i still had no phone so i reported to bt and they said somebody is on the way and an hour later i had the phone back with the hiss and my BB was back but the line profile had dropped to 500 kbps from 8128.
i tried it tonight with the filter in the master socket and the broadband cable and corded phone attached and the phone still hisses. as soon as i unplug the router cable from the filter the hiss stops but do i do still have an intermittent crackle which is quiet at times.
i have posted new router stats if that makes any sense.
many thanks
martin2006
Grafter

bit of an update if anyone is watching, my ticket, having been in the sytem a while now, had a response, automated of course, saying they are going to turn interleaving on to resolve the noise issue on my phone line, even though i said twice all the disconnects are due to me trying different filters and switching off the router so i can use the phone. i questioned this and they looked into it further and as the original BT fault was still open, it was down tools again...........
anyone got any bright ideas to speed things up a bit?
cheers
martin2006
Grafter

posting for tech support to view.
i logged into my router and viewed the stats page which updates every second to see what happens when i pick up the phone. i have attached pics below but basically D/S SNR margin without phone is betweeen 6.0 to 7.9, when i pick up phone and dial it goes to 10.4 - 12.2 and also connection dropped twice in a couple of minutes.
martin2006
Grafter

Finally.................. after chasing and chasing the ticket through the appalling support setup, dozens of phone calls and a week and a half of useless internet and phone line, a BT broadband engineer called today.
excellent guy, diagonsed the problem withing 30 seconds of arriving, confirmed it was an HR fault on the line using his hawk thing, within an hour and a half he was back and the line was repaired.
he says it was capable of supporting up to 9 meg connection and the speed on the line was 7900.
i will probably have to wait for it to catch up on my profile  and i will need interleaving turned off after it was pointlessly turned on but hopefully will be all good from now on.
well thanks a bunch plusnet, your forum support and ticket support was prettty poor this time, lets hope its a one off as its usually first class
Mand
Grafter

Hi Spotter,
Glad to hear you got things sorted, but I'm sorry to hear that the support wasn't up to scratch.
I'll be reviewing your ticket history, and passing feedback on where necessary.
martin2006
Grafter

hi Mand, think its getting sorted, i am going to treat myself to a new router for christmas just to make sure everythings cool so i will have all the fun of wireless to contend with soon. i am not sure if it was the time of year or whether everyone was tied up with the weather and christmas but nothing seemed to happen unril i chewed someones ear off which isnt really fair on the front line guys on the phones but got it done in the end.
i must say that although i have only had minimal experience with the ticket system i dont have much faith in it and usually the forums have been excellent but i think this time it was purely a hardware fault outside everyones field.
thanks for coming back anyway