cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Ethernet keeps dropping but wifi often stays

Gregster100

Broadband Ethernet keeps dropping but wifi often stays

I've restarted my modem, followed the trouble shooters several times and even run PC trouble shooters (and they tell me that my modem has connectivity issues). Phone line is good and I'm using the right cables (all checked twice over) 

I'm beginning to think that my modem is wrecked. 

Any suggestions? 

Wishing I'd stayed with my last ISP, now. 

4 REPLIES 4
wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Broadband Ethernet keeps dropping but wifi often stays

@Gregster100  Welcome to the forums.

Firstly the trouble shooters on Windows are *very* generic and will tell you "your modem has connectivity issues" when it cannot workout what the issue is.

Two things replace the cable between your computer and router/modem with a new one - their could be a broken wire within the old cable causing an intermittent fault.

Also I assume you have multiple sockets for ethernet on the back of your router try a different socket, in case the socket is faulty.

Its also possible our ethernet socket on the Pc is faulty. Do you also have the latest drivers for your ethernet device on the PC?

As an aside if its the Ethernet cable or a faulty socket on your PC being back with your old ISP would have made no difference.

Gregster100

Thanks for the reply. It's helpful.

The router problem appears on all of our 3 computers and no intermittently on our iPads/iphones using wifi. It goes for periods of time and sometimes comes back, like now.

That's why I've surmised it's either a poor connection and/or our modem is faulty. 

Last night's issue was when wifi came back, it came back briefly then refused the password. Took it stright from the back of the router, typed it in several times, had someone else check it but it doesn't want to respond - just says "incorrect password". But we've never changed the password. 

Would you know how I can get PlusNet to send us a new modem or get them to check our line? We've only been with them a efw months, but I think that might show whether it's the modem or more likely an old cable? 

wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Gregster100 

Have you tried the engineers socket yet behind the Master Socket faceplate (you will need to use a filter), it could be a fault with the faceplate its not unknown. Its one of the things PlusNet will ask you to do as part of the troubleshooting. You will need to leave it connected that way for sometime as your issue seems intermittent (those types of issue can be a pain to track down) 

Regarding the wi-fi issue you mentioned sometimes it can take a short while for the Wi-Fi  system to properly pickup your device after it has dropped and restarted as the device hunts around for a good signal and the SSID you have told it to use. Wi-Fi can pickup interference from other strong signals in the area from neighbours or even some cars going past (since a number of cars now have wi-fi built in).

Once you have done the Master socket tests, then you can either ring PlusNet with the details of the tests you have carried out or raise it via  faults.plus.net 

One point to note: Wi-Fi issues are generally the end users responsibility apart from general advice (due to too many external factors PlusNet or any ISP can deal with).

Gregster100

I called support this afternoon and they talked me through taking off the faceplate and had me connect my router and phone line straight into the panel (avoiding the faceplate), using an ADSL filter thing. 

They're currently running tests and I've left it exposed while they gather their data (72hrs). 

In the meantime, I've got wifi on some iPhones and hard wired PC connections come and go - my son's iMac was connected after the call, but his PC wouldn't (both ethernet). Couple hours later the PC connected. 

Within half an hour, the PC then went.....

I've not idea what's going on as the problem is all over the place, but I'll have to wait and see. Thanks for helping, though. I appreciate it.