cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Down and can't send Email via GiffGaff Connection

OldRaft
Grafter

Broadband Down and can't send Email via GiffGaff Connection

Still waiting for any communication to say when Plusnet are to fix my broadband down since last Thursday.

Only words were "within three days"   the girl didn't say if it was calendar days or working days  i.e. Mon to Fri but no contact at all other than an Email which I managed to get via my GiffGaff phone used as WiFi Hotspot.

Just wondered why I can't SEND Email via my Plusnet account then realised that they check who/where/how the sender is connecting.   I guess this has to be, but it is a PITA when your broadband is down in the first place. 

I have to say that a WiFi Hotspot via a mobile phone is if anything much faster than Fibre ADSL  (oops, maybe not allowed to say that  🙂 

7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Re: Broadband Down and can't send Email via GiffGaff Connection

Just wondered why I can't SEND Email via my Plusnet account

You should be able to send email from a giffgaff connection, via relay.plus.net, as long as you use SMTP authentication.

You'll find the settings here https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/ . Make sure you use port 587 (rather than 25 ) and authenticate with the mailbox username & password

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @OldRaft,

I'm sorry to hear that your broadband isn't working at the moment and that you weren't given the correct timescale by the advisor that you discussed this with - I can confirm that she should have told you that it would be three working days for an update. However, I have checked your fault today and have been able to get you an update slightly sooner. Please see the ticket here for the update and next steps towards getting resolved for you.

In the meantime, the link that @MisterW has sent should help you to get your emails working on your GiffGaff connection. Please let us know if you need any further assistance with this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
OldRaft
Grafter

Thanks for your update, I have updated the ticket to say that the I contacted the Post Office again and they have booked an Openreach engineer for tomorrow  morning (Tuesday 21st Aug 2018). 

Originally when I updated your helpdesk person the PO said that there wasn't a fault, since then there has been considerable noise on the line which I assume is why the DSL light on the Openreach modem (FTTC) isn't on. 

What is very confusing and causing delays extra calls and confusion  is that the Plusnet helpdesk implied that if there was a fault on the phone line as opposed to a fault with the broadband equipment  then it was down to me to separately contact my phone provider.

As it is Plusnet appear to have the ability to book a call with Openreach if there is a fault on the phone line? 

Could you clarify this...? 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

As it is Plusnet appear to have the ability to book a call with Openreach if there is a fault on the phone line? 

Openreach will only accept a phone line fault report from the phone line provider.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

deank
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 14

Hi @OldRaft

As @MisterW said, only your phone provider can raise a fault on your phone line. We can only raise a fault on a phone line if the service is with ourselves.

OldRaft
Grafter

The Openreach guy is here, on-time and soon located the fault (where it has been for the last thirty years and more than five visits) he is now up a ladder. Admittedly the last fault was at the bottom of the pole. 

Of course this does not necessarily fix my broadband as I don't use the same supplier then another call has to be be booked with Openreach (yes the company that are here now fixing the phone) by Plusnet. 

Another irrelevant fact. When my old supplier sold out to the Post Office so my phone supplier changed, Plusnet called me on the same day as the Post Office to discuss my new contract............. wonder how PN new it was changing? 

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I suspect that when the phone line fault is fixed your Broadband will be working again without any more engineer visits required.Smiley