cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband/Cpanel Router issues Saga

DarkLordOfAll
Hooked

Broadband/Cpanel Router issues Saga

Hello, I am on a bog standard broadband connection using a TP Link Archer D20 router. Sort if fine until I need to log into a CPanel web address. Nothing that anyone can do will get me onto CPanel I just get login Invalid. The site admin has logged two issues with Cpanel including have the blocked my ISP but no, apparently it something do with the router I am using or Plusnet.

So having no luck with what could be stopping me from logging into CPanel I bought a new router, a Linksys MR6350. Will it connect to my broadband. No. I have to use some awful app via my phone which doesn't help but I have been round in circles all day trying to get this new router to talk to my broadband but no. The App doesn't like any of the setting in and doesn't seem to want to cater for a PPoA service. 

If anyone can shed some light on this, even if you can help me get on CPanel via the Archer D20 I would be so grateful. Just want to say my poor homeschooled teen has been so patient which I keep on trying to work out this!!!   

13 REPLIES 13
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: Broadband/Cpanel Router issues Saga

Hi @DarkLordOfAll 

Firstly the Linksys device is a router you need a modem/router. 

When you setup the cPanel account where any special specific details required eg your Public IP address?

Have you contacted cPanel support?

Dan

PS it is unhelpful if you post your question on two boards.

DarkLordOfAll
Hooked

Dear Dan,

Firstly thanks for responding. Yes I have just realised I have the wrong thing, As for the Cpanel it wasn't me who set the account. the person who sent it up is a techie. I get login Invalid constantly and we've tried everything. I am signing in for a different ISP than the person who set up the account. he has checked if Cpanel are blocking my ISP but apparently not. I have been told it is either my isp blocking Cpanel or my moden/router. 

yes I am sure it's not ideal but it is impossible to get and tech support for anything currently and I seem to spend all my life on hold. 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

You need to go back to basics.

The Archer D20 is an ADSL router - do you have ADSL and are you able to connect to the Internet?

From what I understand CPanel is just webmail - are you able to reach the login page?

Are you a Plusnet customer?

DarkLordOfAll
Hooked

Hello, thank you for replying. Yes I have ADSL and I am a Plusnet customer. I can get online fine with the current modem/router.

Yes, I can get to the log in page for Cpanel, it just won't let me log in. I get Login Invalid. No, it's not the password this has been dealt with.
Mustrum
Community Veteran

OK, that helps, all that other stuff and having two threads with slightly different info added to the confusion.

Which browser or email client are you using to access Cpanel?

Have you tried another?

DarkLordOfAll
Hooked

...I use Chrome. I have tried using Edge but still doesn't work. The only thing I haven't tried is different ISP. My boss is able to log in from his house.....
Mustrum
Community Veteran

I would try simpler solutions before changing ISP - mobile hotspot/neighbours internet/free broadband from McDonals or similar., not least username and password.

If you can get to the login screen the ISP or router is not blocking your access unless it is something you have done in the firewall.

DarkLordOfAll
Hooked

Hello, we've tried user name and password. Trying a different ISP by going to somewhere with WiFi access just hasn't been on the cards recently. The firewall is just standard windows 10. 😞 I was told it could be the modem/router that's causing the problem.
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

My hosting provider uses cpanel and my ip address was blocked the other day because of a corrupted password in a password manager. Too many failed attempts in a 60 minute period resulted in a firewall blacklist, I had exactly the same issue you are reporting with everything related to cpanel, including the email. Maybe try disconnecting your connection and trying to get a new ip address and see if that makes a difference? Have you tried accessing it using your credentials on your mobile, but using mobile data and not wifi (or temporarily tethering)? If you can gain access it is a ip/ PN issue.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@Marksfish - That very clearly points to a CPanel restriction.

@DarkLordOfAll  - sounds like your Cpanel support do not know what they are talking about.  Dismissing a logon failure as being a problem with your ISP / router is about the daftest thing I have ever heard.  

I can well imagine that if you have had issues with getting the password right, that their systems might well have quarantined your IP address - see I Can Not Access cPanel (IP Blocked) (pickaweb.co.uk)

You need to ask your CPanel support contact if your IP address has been jailed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DarkLordOfAll
Hooked

Thank you for your responses,

The Cpanel issue has resolved itself. After a whole day of not having my usual router/modem ( TP Link Archer D20) in use while trying to get a router to work which was not also a modem so was never going to work on it's own ( just don't say anything on this point, I thought it was a router modem bit it wasn't. I am blaming Amazon.) I thought I'd have another go at logging into the Cpanel webmail account and hey presto I am in. 

I wondered if Plusnet had generated a new IP for me and Cpanel was now happy. I think it was being blocked al along. I haven't looked yet,  I am just  savoring the joy of being able to log in. I hope it lasts. 

Thank you all again. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Most connections are on a dynamic IP address. Depending on various factors you might or might not get the same IP address each time you reconnect. It is a lottery - you get what you are given unless you pay for a static IP address.

CPanel has clearly jailed your previous IP address. If you get that back again you will have the same problem again unless your service provider clears the jail. So much for this being a router / ISP issue... and some think Plusnet support is poor. These people should hang their heads in shame.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DarkLordOfAll
Hooked

I agree. We will be prepared if this happens again. It very clearly isn't the router/modem or the ISP at fault.