cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Connection Issues

neeneol

Broadband Connection Issues

Well I was most of the way through quite a lengthy post when, with one swipe of his hand, somehow my 14 month old son has managed to delete the entire thing!!! Annoying ha but perhaps a saviour for the readers.... The condensed version
I call customer support today as my router asked me to log in ( it does this daily 2 or more times)
The difference today is instead of fixing the issue I just got a broadband connection fault warning.
The representative heard how bad the line was and said he had a good idea what the fault was but was cut off mid security check.
Kindly he rang back on my mobile. He arranged for an engineer to come out in a few days and check the line as he says this is the problem more than 9/10 times.
I was delighted with the service until I got 2 text messages confirming the engineers booking and warning me that there will be a £60 charge if the problem lies with the internal cabling or setup.
Oh great so I phone with a fault and without being directed in any way to check my setup etc I get fobbed off with a visit that could cost me £60!!! Actually I'd rather not. I've not been overjoyed with my service to be honest with throttling, poor line clarity/interference etc and constant drop outs/connection faults but I've lived with it for 12 months and thought I could live with it until today. I'm now wondering whether to just cancel and find someone else as I have just finished my contracted period.....
2 REPLIES 2
paulg123
Grafter

Re: Broadband Connection Issues

Best thing you want to do now for peace of mind is to go to the master socket and take the 2 screws off and plug your phone into the test socket underneath the cover and dial 17070 and do the quiet line test and listen for any crackling noises or anything which will be a sign of a problem on the line which will be a BT problem and not yours
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Broadband Connection Issues

Hi neeneol,
As paulg123 says as long as the fault is still present with a single wired handset plugged into the test socket then you've proved it's a line fault and you won't be charged. The charge is only issued if the engineer attends and finds that the fault is being caused by internal wiring (removed when you disconnect the master socket faceplate) or any equipment plugged into the line.
Hope that helps explain.