cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband Connection Drops When Phone Answered or Dialling Out

Darreng

Broadband Connection Drops When Phone Answered or Dialling Out

Only just put two and two together on this, but I have been suffering intermittent connection dropouts for some time now.
At first I thought it was the router (Netgear DG834), so I changed it for a newer model (DGN2200) and more recently to a DGND3700 but the problem persisted.  Changed all filters and had the master socket upgraded to one with a bell wire filter built in.
I sussed the problem out by accident when the answering machine picked up and I spotted the little warning icon appear at the same time.  I confirmed this is the issue by dialling out and checking the connection - low and behold it dropped out.  replaced telephone - still does it.
The question is, what do I do next? I go round in circles with the broadband troubleshooter and Plusnet assist is a waste of effort.  Anyone found a solution.  In the good old days, it seemed easier to raise a support ticket, but I can't find any way of doing that nowadays.
Any advice gratefully received
20 REPLIES 20
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Broadband Connection Drops When Phone Answered or Dialling Out

Have you checked for noise on the phone (dial 17070 option 2 if BT/Plusnet)? Does it still happen using a "rat-tail" filter in the test socket? If either, report a(n intermittent) phone fault to your provider to get your line checked out.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Raise a fault here http://faults.plus.net
Darreng

Many thanks for the replies.
Quiet line test is clear, so will check with filter directly out of master socket (did try this before I realised the phone was the trigger) and then follow the fault reporting procedure if it still occurs.
Regards
Darren
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Have you tried dialing in without the phone or answering machine connected but with the router connected (in case either of these are causing the problem)?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Are you on 20CN or 21CN?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Darreng

Quote from: jelv
Are you on 20CN or 21CN?

sorry don't know what that is
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you are using a Plusnet supplied TG582 http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?be=0&l0=2&l1=0 should give you the full stats reported by your router. If you could post those we should be able to figure out what you are on.
Darreng

Tried master socket test again - still has problem when phone line is 'open'
No issues when dialling in with no phone plugged in.
Been with Plusnet donkey's years but have never been supplied with any of their hardware.  Using a Netgear DGND3700v2 router modem, which was only bought within the last 6 weeks.  Prior to that, had a Netgear DGN2200.  have attached a stats report from teh router as a jpeg if anyone can make sense of it.
Thanks again for the replies.
Have raised a fault report too
w23
Pro

Quote from: Darreng

Can you try with another phone, looks like that may be the problem? (you could try just the phone and just the answering machine if they're separate) - ideally you want a basic corded phone for such testing.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

You are on 21CN.
I notice the uptime of the router was less than 10 minutes - had you restarted it recently?
w23
Pro

Tried master socket test again

I think that would explain the short uptime  Wink
Call me 'w23'
Darreng

Quote from: w23

Can you try with another phone, looks like that may be the problem? (you could try just the phone and just the answering machine if they're separate) - ideally you want a basic corded phone for such testing.

Have tried 3 different phones - a panasonic cordless with answering machine, a philps cordless without answering machine and a binatone corded that we keep for emergencies if the electric goes off..
Problem only happens when phone line is 'open' ie, handset is in call mode
@jelv - yes I moved it from it's usual location to plug into the master socket to perform the test
Thanks again
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

It's looking similar to a fault I had 6 months ago, the SNRM would drop around 3dB whenever the phone was "off hook" - which was every 30 minutes (a 1571 phone "calling home" Roll_eyes ) - but rarely some "light" crackling on the phone. Eventually traced to an earth fault 10m from the house which was cured by a new length of cable (all under ground cabling here).
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Darreng

Many thanks for that information - very useful.  we had telegraph poles replaced on our street a couple of years ago, so wonder if there has been a problem where the drop line joins the main phone line...