cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broad band speed to fast

samuria
Grafter

Broad band speed to fast

I thought we have never had a topic like this so I will be the first. my speed has been constant for about a year
22/12/07  4736 syn speed
12/01/08  4672
29/01/08  4608
7/02/08  4480
Now in the last few days it gets faster every day
22/05/08  5184
23/05/08  5312
24/05/08  5152
25/05/08  5184
26/05/08  5280
27/05/08  5408
No changes to equipment no dramatic change in weather so why suddenly has it got better?
34 REPLIES 34
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Broad band speed to fast

Have you kept a record of your line attenuation as well?
samuria
Grafter

Yes its between 9 and 11 and doesnt seem effected by the speed gone up again today
Modem Status today

Connection Status   Connected
Us Rate (Kbps)   448
Ds Rate (Kbps)   5440
US Margin   26
DS Margin   9
Trained Modulation   GDMT
LOS Errors   0
DS Line Attenuation   48
US Line Attenuation   29
Peak Cell Rate   1056 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast   0
CRC Tx Fast   0
CRC Rx Interleaved   125
CRC Tx Interleaved   6
Path Mode   Interleaved
pd
Grafter

Maybe BT have been doing some work in a cabinet on your route and remade some dodgy connections.
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: samuria
No changes to equipment no dramatic change in weather so why suddenly has it got better?

I think you will find that the cold, damp weather in January and February cannot be compared to the relatively warm, dry weather in May/June.  Other than that previous comment on possible work on the line connections by BT may have something to do with it?
firefly2
Grafter

your guardian angel is looking after you... aren't you the lucky one... Smiley
James
Grafter

cannot be compared to the relatively warm, dry weather in May/June

Wish I lived where you do!  But it's a valid point, when the weather is decent, any potential dampness causing poorer sync speeds will have dried out potentially improving the speeds of the connection.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@jameseh  Can`t see how that is true..... My speed is generally constant, no matter what the weather.... I recently had a problem, but it was wiring and not the weather....
Being "typically english" I suppose any "unknown" is blamed on the weather !  Cheesy Roll_eyes
James
Grafter

Hi Gerry,
That's why I was careful to use "potentially" Smiley
Your problem obviously wasn't attributed to the weather.  But it is possible for underground cabling to be affected by periods of wet weather, to be subsequently resolved when the cabling dries out.
We can't all live in the sunny south you know Smiley
zubel
Community Veteran

@shutter:  
On a decent quality line, weather will have little effect.
On a marginal quality line the weather can have drastic effects.  In the case where there may be an exposed joint in the cabling, damp weather can certainly exacerbate an existing problem.  Also, a lot of telephone lines are run in underground conduits.  If these are prone to leaking then you can end up with a completely submerged line.  While this won't cause any problems with a correctly insulated line, older lines which may be suffering from perished insulation can certainly start to see problems!
B.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@B  So according to your theory, my line should be improving all the time like Samurai, because my speed is 950 (generally constant) and I would say my  line was "marginal"..... (It could be marginally improved, but could also marginally deteriorate).... The weather here has been very dry for about three weeks, only one day of rain, which did not cause any problems.....  Cheesy
OR... the lines around here are in "excellent" condition, and cannot be improved with a bit of sunshine....
Just a point to note....
If rain can penetrate the ground to a depths of 18" and cause cables to be "damp", how far does sunshine penetrate (?)  and how long does it take for that sunshine to dry them out again?  Roll_eyes
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
OR... the lines around here are in "excellent" condition, and cannot be improved with a bit of sunshine....

You got it!
Quote from: shutter
Just a point to note....
If rain can penetrate the ground to a depths of 18" and cause cables to be "damp", how far does sunshine penetrate (?)  and how long does it take for that sunshine to dry them out again?  Roll_eyes

It's not the water per se, but the condition of the insulation.  If the insulation is good then it is impervious to dampness and you'll see no difference in its performance.  On the other hand, if it is like mine . . .
dougrice
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

My downstream speeds have also been increasing since Christmas and have now stablised to 6976/448. I have not done any improvements to explain this.
The plots of ADSL show Channel show an across the board inprovement in bit capacity per channel.
Have a look at http://www.dougrice.plus.com/Erlangs/a_specLatest.png
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

On a quick visit to your site a while ago I saw a number of these plots, didn't spot any info. or have time to hunt for explanation on how to interpret them. Real experts may know at a glance but I'm sure most posters here wouldn't have a clue. Could you please explain how to interpret them or a link to an explanation might be best.
With regard to your increase in sync speeds, maybe OpenReach have improved some cabling on route, or local noise factors have reduced for some reason.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

At one time several years ago, it was in the news that BT had sealed there cables and were pressurizing them, if the line suffered a pressure drop, they could then easily detect where in the line there was an insulation problem,  Do they still use this?  Cool Roll_eyes Kiss