cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bridging/Access point connected to my Thomson TG585 v8

thewoodvines

Bridging/Access point connected to my Thomson TG585 v8

Hi!
I'm a new customer of Plusnet, as I decided to ditch Virgin (and the 10M unlimited internet that I had) when we moved house last month. Pretty happy so far, with a decent 6-7M download speed, and looking forward to the exchange upgrade next April  Smiley And all for much less than I was paying Virgin!
Something that I had setup at my last house was a bridge (I think that's the term, Klingon is not my strong point) where I had a Tenda 311R+ router taking in the wireless signal from another Tenda 311R+, that was wired to the virgin cable modem, and providing a local wired ethernet connection to my Blu-Ray player and TV, so that they can access the internet.
Can't seem to do that with the Thomson!
I've downloaded the bridge patch for my Thomson, tried all sorts off settings, but the tenda will not accept the wireless signal from the thomson, and provide a local wired internet connection.
I've had a search on the forum, and have seen that others have had success with the Dlink DAP 1522 and ZyXEL G570S thingies connecting up to the Thomson.
Does anyone have any other suggestions to achieve what I'm after? Especially is the solution is more cost effective than the devices mentioned above  Wink
So, to recap, I'm after a device that will take the thomson's wireless signal and provide 3-4 local ethernet ports, allowing my TV, Blu Ray player and soon to be delivered PVR to connect to the internet.
Cheers
Will
12 REPLIES 12
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Bridging/Access point connected to my Thomson TG585 v8

The TG585v8 doesn't support WDS whcih is probably what you were using to connect the 2 Tendas. What you need is something that will act as a wireless client to the TG585 and bridge to its wired ports. Something like this should do it http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA701ND-150Mbps-Wireless-Access/dp/B002YETVVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

thewoodvines

Hi MisterW
Thanks for the reply. Do you know for sure that this will be compatible with the Thomson? I'd hate to buy it and then not have any joy.
The tenda was able to be configured as an access point, but I never got it to talk to the Thomson. Not sure if I was using WDS, so you are probably right.
dick:quote
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks for the reply. Do you know for sure that this will be compatible with the Thomson? I'd hate to buy it and then not have any joy.

I cant guarantee it since I've never used one. I just looked for something cheap and cheerful that would provide a wireless client mode. In this mode it should be ( to the TG585 ) no different to any other wireless client. It ( the TPLink ), in this mode, will not provide access to other wireless clients ( as it would in WDS mode ), they must connect to the TG585 directly,  it merely bridges its wired ports to the network by connecting to an existing wireless access point ( in this case the TG585 ). You can download the userguide for the Tplink from here http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TL-WA701ND&version=V1 , pages 22 onwards describe the wireless mode options.
You will probably need to either set the TPlink LAN address to Dynamic ( so that it gets an IP from the TG585) or static to an address in the same subnet as the TG585 ( 192.168.1.x ) but out of its DHCP pool range
Edit: Client mode setup guide from the TpLink website http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?id=288

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hulls
Grafter

My son did it here by using homeplugs to connect the two routers.  He couldn't get them to connect wirelessly
John
MrT
Grafter

I have a TG585v7 Router and used an Edimax EW-7209APg to connect my Foxsat HDR to the Internet for iPlayer.
The 7209APg is now hard to find but it's N equivalent is the Edimax EW-7416APn (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7416APN-Wireless-802-11n-Access/dp/B001HW0JVU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=...)
Edimax website : http://www.edimax.co.uk/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=242&pl1_id=1&pl2_id=5
john50
Grafter

Funnily enough I ordered one of these yesterday to use with a V8  http://www.edimax.co.uk/en/produce_detail.php?pl1_id=1&pl2_id=5&pl3_id=193&pd_id=348 ; mainly because its got a 5 port switch on it as well for around the £20/£25 mark.
Hopefully it'll work ok but knowing my luck  Roll_eyes
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@john50, If you want to do the same as Will, then it should be fine. Looking at the manual its 'client' mode seems to be called 'station-infrastructure' mode.

john50
Grafter

Cheers MisterW, thats basically all I wanted it for and thought the ports might come in handy...............if I ever managed to work out the manual  Cheesy  shall we say its not too well written  Undecided
thewoodvines

John50,
I'd love to know how you get on, and if you get it working!
john50
Grafter

I'll let you know but it won't be untill the end of the week
dick:quote
john50
Grafter

Hi William IV
Still got a bit of tweaking to do but its looking good, after a bit of headscratching, I've got it running upstairs but with a ethernet connection to the router which is downstairs `(the wife loves that one).
My sons laptop is running wirelessly (its pretty quick) from it and his x box is plugged into one of the ports.
I'll need to scratch my head a bit more in the next day or two to work out how to get it to work without the ethernet, its as I thought the instructions leave a bit to be desired
thewoodvines

Hi John50,
I was wondering how the head scratching had gone? Any luck with just using the wifi?