Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new router and very happy overall

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Brand new router and very happy overall

I had purchase a brand new Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gagabit ADSL2+ Modem Router DGND3700 from pcworld today and connected it up as I was very impressed as the wi-fi is perfect (no drop out) and it working very well without ethernet cable. I was hugely surprise as the connection rate is much higher than before (my old Netgear Rangemax NG834N) is pretty poor on wi-fi and loss of connection.
Before on Netgear Rangemax NG834N:
Sync: 15505k - 1279k
BT IP: 13679k - 1279k
PN IP: 13.6 Mb
Throughput: 12884k
New on Netgear DGND3700: (Connected today at 05.55)
Sync: 17567k - 1279k
BT IP: 15499k - 1279k
PN IP: 13.6 Mb (Surprise this PN Profile isn't working as it didn't cap my line speed at 13.6 Mb)
Throughput 15109k
Slightly much improvement (both line attenuation at 32.0dB and snr at 3.0dB  remain the same as old and new routers !
Hopefully no more drop out or lose connection! Smiley

17 REPLIES 17
Apprentice
Grafter

Re: Brand new router and very happy overall

I'm sure the members of the Digital Care Team will be keeping their fingers crossed all goes well  Tongue
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Only disappointed is this new Netgear Router will not work with DMT or RouterStats at all. The old Router does. Unable to find stats for CRC Errors etc, SNR tweak ! I had updated latest firmware. And my connection rate had gone up from 17395k to 17411k.
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=goldenadsl]Only disappointed is this new Netgear Router will not work with DMT or RouterStats at all
Are you sure it won't work with RouterStats ?,  I used to run RouterStats within the Windows emulator ("WinE") on Linux and managed to get that to work with a variety of Linksys routers that the program doesn't support, by setting the router type to "Other" and then telling the configuration where to find the info within the router's status pages.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

No, I am pretty sure, I had try routerstats but won't work! How do I find WinE as I don't have Linux, only Windows 7.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You shouldn't need "WinE" as that is a program that enables Windows programs (such as "RouterStats") to be run on non-Windows platforms - such as Ubuntu in my case.
I was just giving that as an example of my setup, which is about as far from the intended use of "RouterStats" as it gets, yet it still worked, and with an unlisted router.
When you say it doesn't work, does the program run ? does it run and not communicate with the router ? what is not working ?
Have you got the latest version of RouterStats ?
Have you run through the help - http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm
On the above link, your router "Netgear N600-DGND3700"  is listed on the "Currently works with"  table, BUT using "ROUTERSTATS -LITE" instead - it is probably worth giving that a try.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

router-lites is no good, only show connection status, but I want telnet enabled to check CRC errors etc, connection etc and SNR tweak etc, a proper full routerstat 6.7b. Any idea how to get this work ? Really frustrated. Why is Netgear block telnet ? Very annoying.
I had show u a picture of what it say here
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah OK, a telnet problem  Roll_eyes
Have a read of the following thread, as the OP has the same complaint, but another poster has a solution - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/technical-discussion/42522-netgear-dgnd3700-n600-6.html
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Why is my old Netgear DG834N can see RouterStats but not the new Netgear N600-DGND3700 ? I wish the box would tell us if it support telnet or not before buy it. I had try all night to get it working but no sucess. I wish the hardware router show extra web features etc: CRC errors etc, and SNR tweak on it own default without third party software, problem is I love this Netgear N600-DGND3700, excellent wireless and high performance modem.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Start off by downloading telnetEnable from here NETGEAR Telnet Enable Utility: MyOpenRouter
Ive just created a folder on the c: drive called '1' and extracted the telnetEnable.exe in there.
Now you need to get your LAN MAC address. In the modem login page goto Maintenance & then Router Status and copy your LAN MAC address to notepad, without the :'s.
Open up Command Prompt.
Type in:
"C:\1\telnetEnable.exe 192.168.0.1 XXXXXXXXXXXXX Gearguy Geardog"
................................(modem ip) (LAN MAC without : )(default telnet login)
Once you have done that, you should now be able to telnet into the modem.
in Command Prompt type:
"telnet 192.168.0.1"
snr command is:
"adsl configure --snr (enter value without brackets)"
You only have to do the telnetEnable command again if you turnoff or reset your modem. Its similar to using telnet on the Netcomm nb6plus4w
Hope this helps.

I had done it once, it work! but soon after router reboot, it won't again this time! Sad just a blank CMD screen (black screen with nothing happen)
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Ok, my new router looking good so far for over 24 hours after Netgear recommend me to updated to the latest stable firmware:

Anonymous
Not applicable

When I try and view the second image, I get a Forum pop-up window appear that says -
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

the 2nd image should work? I can see both images
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it is now working form me, however the thumbnail view has changed since I posted as previously as the miniature second image was showing a BT speed test result (like the first image thumbnail) but now it is showing a screen capture of your router stats.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

It very good Netgear router but I cannot get my DMT Tool or Routerstats working  anymore because telnet is not enabled and I try search forum and try all telnet with cmd command and nothing will work. I just give up and just glad I get 16.4Mbps speed. It would be nice to get 17 Meg if I tweak SNR down to around 1.5 but the router won't allow it.