Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bits of Packet Loss

Melancholie
Grafter

Bits of Packet Loss

Heya,
Resynched my FTTC on Friday 27th, was changing plug outlets around. Since then I seem to be getting the odd packet loss spike, and these are getting more frequent as time goes on.
Graphs are below.
I'm very skittish about this as I had a ton of issues on ADSL which weren't really resolved.
Now the line has degraded since install due to cross-talk, a few days after install:

Now:

I suspect I'm seeing uncorrectable errors due to noise bursts and these are showing up in the graph accordingly.
TBB graphs below - what I'm saying sound reasonable?
28th:

29th:

30th:

31st:
7 REPLIES 7
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Bits of Packet Loss

I've just had a quick look at your account and we had the profile on our side set too high, this needs to match the BT profile you'd see on a BT speedtest otherwise there can be packet loss as we're not managing the QoS on the line.
I've corrected the profile, and this should take effect next time you disconnect/reconnect.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Off topic question - well it is related
Why do customers on other ISP's who don't have a local copy of the IP profile not see this.
Or is it a function of how the Plusnet router handles pings
Melancholie
Grafter

Plusnet apply QoS on a per-customer basis, Jim, other operators who do rate limit do it on a per-endpoint basis. If Plusnet's rate limit per line is set too high then under congestion conditions traffic won't be properly policed, however this should really only happen under congestion conditions. Until the pipe is full QoS / rate limits shouldn't be an issue.
I am a bit worried that the spikes of loss don't seem to correspond to load on the line, IE average / max latency increases, but will keep an eye on it.
jim:quote
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Have you checked the Huawei modems log file?
When I used a Huawei modem my log showed deep packet loss spikes like yours to be associated with vdsl re-syncs.
Melancholie
Grafter

The Huawei is on both modem and router detail and the DSL link uptime covers the period since last Saturday.
I am now monitoring more closely so if the issue is local or nearby I should know about it Smiley
Melancholie
Grafter

Performance dropped a bit - looks like the change on the Plusnet side was a bit excessive.
Current line speed:
70.4 Mb
This was down from 77.4Mb.
The BTWholesale system reports the IP Profile as 77.33Mb, which matches up to the sync: Line rate (kbit/s) 79891
The Plusnet system seems determined to underestimate the data rate, previously when IP Profile was 77.44Mb it needed a kick as it was fixated on 70.4! Smiley
Please, Sir, may I have my missing 6.9Mb back?  Smiley
Melancholie
Grafter

Just to close this off all is fixed, and have duly added the speedtest result in the signature to Jelv's wave Smiley