cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BitTorrent

Pod
Grafter

Re: BitTorrent

Dave, (sorry for an on-topic single liner, followed by an off-topic rant  :D)
Quote from: dave
So a question I'll throw open, to try and help keep the network better balanced would you think it would be a good idea for us to do a weekly or twicely weekly regular session of load balancing? We can schedule it to happen out of hours and ensure we don't disconnect certain groups of customers (for example business users are excluded normally) but this could help in a big way in keeping the network in balance.

I'd be really, really unhappy if you regularly disconnected (even briefly) my connection - out-of-hours - e.g. for load balancing, or whatever.
Why? Because over 50% of my bandwidth usage is automated to occur between 00:01 and 07:00 and I have no way of automatically in an unattended way  recovering from an ADSL disconnection event.
On a similar subject, I'd really, really appreciate a means of having a "preferred list" of gateways (yes, this kind of goes agin your objective, maybe?)
Why? Well, when I first joined PlusNet I had a fabulous service, with good speeds and as a bonus a special feature that meant if I typed the URL of a site host on my ADSL line into a browser e.g. http://www.example.com/ it would route - and work - successfully.
This state of true serendipity continued for a couple of months - then it changed, and I had much, much poorer web browsing speeds (using the same setup) the facility of routing to my own site via a browser e.g. http://www.example.com/ ; failed to work for several months - to the point hwere I wondered if I'd misremembered and it was my old ISP that provided the good browsing and local site routing.
Then two days ago - BINGO! The magic browsing experience returned along with being able again to browse e.g. http://www.example.com/ ; (remember, a site hosted on my own ADSL line) works again! It will be a real b***** if/when my connection drops next and I get a different (non-golden) gateway.
Note, I have recorded every gateway I've used (EXCEPT the first one - didn't know how back then), so can categorically say, that of all the gateways I've used ONLY ONE works well for me!
All provide pretty much the same speed (my sync speed is pretty consistent from one connection to the next) and basic up- and down- load performance as measured by http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ are nearly the same each time, also ping, traceroute and LayerFourTraceroutes (LFT) are very similar between my "golden" gateway, and all the others. 
From a users perspective (a notoriously unreliable viewpoint - but all I have  :-*) it seems one gateway is configured very well indeed - and all the rest...aren't configured at all well.  I'm fairly techy so if you wish to know more, feel free to contact me offline I use a mix of PCs(WinXP) and Macs(OS X), some running both via VMs, and both WinXP & OS X demonstrate this effect, I have tried more than 7 routers  (I have for brief period configured routers for others, and borrowed a couple too, for short periods).
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Pod
Why? Because over 50% of my bandwidth usage is automated to occur between 00:01 and 07:00 and I have no way of automatically in an unattended way  recovering from an ADSL disconnection event.

Your ADSL connection would not drop as such, no resync of the ADSL will take place. The PPP connection would drop for moment though, it may I guess drop 2 or 3 times if the balancing did not work .
Dave - At anytime I suspect the Ellanoya and RADIUS logs give you a clue as to which gateway has the highest and lowest usage, maybe a method could be to balance those two gateways only each night or once per week.
I would think doing this balancing at 05:00 to 07:00 would suit most people better if there are many people like Pod.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Ottmar
Grafter

When is the extra bandwidth due to be added?
James
Grafter

I believe it's Friday.
Ottmar
Grafter

Thanks James.
Ottmar
Grafter

Well, that was a damp squib. Time to find a different ISP.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Ottmar,
Have you tried switching gateways at all, to see if you get better performance on a different one? You can see which gateway you're on at http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway
Ottmar
Grafter

Was on pte-ag2. Logged off/on and I'm now on pte-ag01. I'll monitor this.
Is this the new segment?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The new segment is on pcl-ag01rather than pte. Please let us know if this doesn't make any difference, though it certainly should do.
Ottmar
Grafter

Oops, I am on pcl-ag01 - ah the joys of CTRL+C & CTRL+V
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Ottmar
Oops, I am on pcl-ag01

Isn't that one of the busiest gateways or am I mis-reading the graphs.
I'm on pcl-ag04. and getting good usenet speeds
Paul
Ottmar
Grafter

After monitoring my connection since 31/7, I've seen a gradual deterioration of the service I'm paying for. I'm now (according to a speed tester) receiving ⅔ of the speed I had before the new segment was added. I've seen no improvement in BT speed.
I'm wasting no more time on +net - and I have wasted a lot of time on them. My previous ISP just worked - after five years of perfect connection and exactly the service advertised, I never had to contact them once.
I feel like a victim of theft - and that isn't how a business should make one of their customers feel.
As soon as I'm able, I'm heading back to Eclipse.
Thanks to the community for their help.
Don't bother replying to this - I won't be checking this thread again.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Ottmar,
I can't see a ticket on the account, there's been nothing since the 7th July. I can understand your frustration but please give us a chance to investigate the issue? You're on a 5.5Nb profile so that won't be where the issues lie, is the decrease solely on the bittorrent speeds?