cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bit torrenting and port addresses

Rikaitch
Grafter

Bit torrenting and port addresses

My uTorrent is complaining it has no connection to the net. I've checked my firewall in my router, and port forwarded previously successfully. I've also check the portal's firewall and turned that off, and even checked the windows firewall, but I still get the port isn't open errors. It's only recently it has started to do this, so is there something I'm missing?
9 REPLIES 9
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Bit torrenting and port addresses

First question - have you rebooted your router and tried again?
I've had a situation where uTorrent simply flooded my router, and it basically just started blocking access.  A quick reboot of the router cleared all the port maps and made it function correctly again
B.
Rikaitch
Grafter

I've not only rebooted the router, I've also reset and reopened the ports, and tried a different router, and still no banana.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Have you tried rebooting the PC as well? Also do you have uPnP enabled in uTorrent? It's worth disabling it to see if that fixes it.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Rikaitch
Grafter

Yup rebooted many times, and uPNP's always been off.
matt_2k34
Grafter

i assume you checked Winblows firewall too ? make sure that isnt blocking it 🙂  - or any other software firewalls...
IF your router supports UPNP leave UPNP on in utorrent.. saves the headache 🙂
scotsgringo
Dabbler

me again, i get this sometimes and i think it's because with only getting the 512 it gets so slow after tea time the site thinks it's being blocked, that's what i tell myself anyway.
James
Grafter

Out of curiosity, have you tried disabling the antivirus and firewall on your computer itself?  I appreciate that you disabled windows firewall, but I'm not sure if you have any others!
Slick
Grafter

the most common problem is that your pc will be on a dchp list in
the router settings. if using this in a wirless network then the ip your trying to use will be diffrent unless your pc is on 24/7
try setting your pc to 1 unique ip address and then open the port for that ip address.
let me know if that sorts it out?
Rikaitch
Grafter

Still no joy. The BT seems to work, but not as reliably as it did. I am on a wired only router, so no wireless IP problems there, or DHCP restrictions. I have turned off the windows firewall, using the (very good) one built into my router, and have opened up the ports to see if that helps, but they were open from before, so nothing's changed there. I had to turn off the plus net firewall which was enabled by default when Plus Net implemented it, and to be honest it was when that was implemented the problem started, so it makes me think it's something at their end, not mine.