cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Binatone ADSL500 & Vista

Richchad
Rising Star

Binatone ADSL500 & Vista

Does anyone know if the old Binatone ADSL500 will work with Vista 32?
Yes I still have a Binatone ADSL500... Grin
I know I need to get a router...lol
35 REPLIES 35
James
Grafter

Re: Binatone ADSL500 & Vista

USB. Vista. Probably not.
Afaik, it's just the Speedtouch that does.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The drivers had problems running with XP SP2. Vista is a no-go I'm afraid.
Time to get a router - If cash is a problem try here
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Peter
The drivers had problems running with XP SP2.
Time to get a router - If cash is a problem try here
What sort of problems?
As I said elsewhwre some indication of what amongst that lot is to be recommended could be useful to poor benighted Binatoners Smiley
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Richchad
Rising Star

Quote from: PJ
Or switch to BBYW and get a router for free (provided you stayed with PlusNet for twelve months).
There is a £5.99 delivery charge on equipment.

What make of router is free for option 2 and if I switch from Broadband Plus to Option 2 what is the difference between the two products, also is there a charge to switch?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

What make of router is free for option 2

This is either the BT Voyager 210 (wired 1 port ethernet/usb) router, or the BT Voyager 2091 (wireless 1 port ethernet/usb) router.
if I switch from Broadband Plus to Option 2 what is the difference between the two products

There is extra webspace on the BBYW option 2 and double the peak time allowance (8gb as opposed to 4) though the peak time runs from 8am to midnight as opposed to 4pm to midnight on the broadband plus.
is there a charge to switch?

Nope.
Hope this helps,
Richchad
Rising Star

Thanks for that Orbrey,
On a slightly different note, I am geting a new Vista PC hence the question about my Binatone USB ADSL500, I want to keep my existing PC but link it to my new one, it doesn't need to be connected to the net as I will just use it for maybe backing up and running stuff that may not work on Vista like my scanner, my question is can I link it with the BT Voyager 210 to enable transfer of files etc?
Not quite sure how I am going to operate the two PC's with one keyboard, monitor etc but believe a Belkin switch2 will do it or by making my old PC a terminal server.  Huh
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

The voyager 210 allows 2 PCs to be connected to it, one via the USB port and one via Ethernet. This will also allow you to transfer data between the 2 PCs an still have internet access on the existing one.
You need a 2 port KVM switch to use a single keyboard / mouse / screen with 2 PCs. But be careful if you have a USB keyboard or mouse as most KVMs only support PS2 mouse/keyboard. They do not make your old PC a terminal server, they just switch the devices between the two PCs.
Richchad
Rising Star

Thanks for that Peter, just to clarify, my existing PC only has a USB modem connection, no Ethernet, the new PC will have a Ethernet connection and this is the one I want to connect to the internet, will this work with the Voyager 210?
I have looked at the Belkin Switch2's and I think this one would do it as I have a monitor with DVI connection and USB keyboard and mouse.
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=357928#
If I wanted to make my old PC a terminal server would it be possible with the connections through the Voyager 210 or would I need to add an Ethernet card to my old PC?
Sorry about all the questions.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Quote from: Richchad
Thanks for that Peter, just to clarify, my existing PC only has a USB modem connection, no Ethernet, the new PC will have a Ethernet connection and this is the one I want to connect to the internet, will this work with the Voyager 210?

Yes, as I said one PC can connect via USB and the other via Ethernet.
I have looked at the Belkin Switch2's and I think this one would do it as I have a monitor with DVI connection and USB keyboard and mouse.
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=357928#

That appears to support DVI and USB but not PS2 so as long as both your mouse and keyboard are USB it will be fine.
If I wanted to make my old PC a terminal server would it be possible with the connections through the Voyager 210 or would I need to add an Ethernet card to my old PC?

The old PC will connect using USB, the new using Ethernet.
I think you may be confusing terminal server (where you can have several users logged into the PC to run applications) and a file server where it allows access to files on the PC. With both PCs connected to the router you should be able to access files from either PC although networking between XP and Vista is very difficult to set-up.
I would strongly urge you don't use Vista as it is so far one of the worst MS operating systems to date and has lots of compatibility and other problems.
Richchad
Rising Star

Quote from: Peter

I would strongly urge you don't use Vista as it is so far one of the worst MS operating systems to date and has lots of compatibility and other problems.

Peter, many thanks for all the help, but why did you put the cat among the pidgeons with that last bit, I have been round and round with this question on a number of forums but mostly if to go with Vista 32 bit or 64, and most feedback is that there is no support for 64 but 32 seems to be stable and gaining more and more support now, to stay with XP seems a backward step....decisions decisions  Undecided
James
Grafter

If it works...
Richchad
Rising Star

Quote from: PJ
Or switch to BBYW and get a router for free (provided you stayed with PlusNet for twelve months).
There is a £5.99 delivery charge on equipment.

I don't think I want to switch to BBYW as I use my  pc mostly during the day, is there any way I can get a free modem by agreeing to stay without switching products for at least 12 months especially as the modem PN supplied is no longer supported for Vista?
James
Grafter

Any ethernet modems or routers should work absolutely fine on Vista.
Richchad
Rising Star

Quote from: James
Any ethernet modems or routers should work absolutely fine on Vista.

James, you missed my point, I am after a free modem..lol