Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billion 8800AXL R2 router SSID password being reset

ksaro1
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Billion 8800AXL R2 router SSID password being reset

When configuring and connecting router to VDSL2 connection to Plusnet Plusnet resets the SSID password of my Billion router to that of the Plusnet router that was provided for my service. It takes a few attempts in the Billion configuration to set the SSID back for each channel. How can I prevent Plusnet from resetting the SSID password?
6 REPLIES 6
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Billion 8800AXL R2 router SSID password being reset

Hi @ksaro1, we aren't able to reset the SSID password from our side, so I'm unsure what's causing this issue here.

Are you bridging our Plusnet router to the Billion?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
ksaro1
Rising Star

- I connect my Billion router/modem to my phone line and configure the Plusnet connection username and password as the VDSL2 connection. The Billion router connects and configures itself. Lo and behold, the WPA2 key for the WiFi is then set to the admin password I see on the Plusnet router/modem box! How the Billion router could know this random password is impossible. The only way this can be set in the Billion router is via Plusnet I'm afraid.

Btw the Plusnet router is still in its box during the entire process. It's not used at all.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Somethings not right here.

Are you saying that the wireless password is changing from it's default to the one that comes with the Plusnet Hub? If so could it be that WPS is working in a way that it picks up the password from devices that were previously connected to your Plusnet Hub? Plusnet have no way of knowing what wireless passwords you choose, which may or may not be the default ones with which the Hub is factory configured.

Try resetting the Billion password then instead of using WPS search for available networks on your devices, select the Billion transmission then manually enter the password.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @ksaro1,

Thank you for providing that information. If the WPA2 key is changing to the Plusnet router's admin password then it may be the case that your browser is storing the password. Please can you try changing the WPA2 key for your Billion router via a different browser and let us know how it goes?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I have WPS disabled on both frequencies on my 8800AXL.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ksaro1
Rising Star

@EmilyD - Ah, that could well be it, thanks.

I am new to Plusnet. When I first tried connecting I used my Billion router but that did not work ( I may have gotten the username incorrect by not adding the @plusdsl.net) so I used the supplied Plusnet router to get the initial connection. I then disconnected the Plusnet router and tried my Billion router again, this time with the correct username. This is when the WP2A password got reset to the Plusnet router's admin password. I hadn't thought about the browser caching it. But now the you mention it, I am sure that is what is happening. I can reset the password fine once the router is configured. I'll just have to remember to use a different browser the next time I need to reconfigure the router. (Unfortunately Billion require this when you install a firmware upgrade)