cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Billing's lost the plot again

Be3G
Grafter

Billing's lost the plot again

Bet you're not surprised to see me with another billing problem… this month's edition is as follows:
My invoice period runs from the 6th to the 5th of each month. Normally by about lunchtime on the 6th of the month I will have received an e-mail telling me about the direct debit that'll soon be taken for the month that finished the day before. But yesterday, that didn't happen, and it still hasn't happened as of writing this. My usage was reset Ok at the beginning of yesterday, but there're no transactions showing in my Account Details since the payment on the 6th of December. There's no sign of anything in my tickets/service notices either.
Could someone look in to this please? It'd also be interesting to hear if anyone else who was due to be billed yesterday has experienced the same problem. Huh
98 REPLIES 98
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Billing's lost the plot again

I think this is easily explained. We're slightly behind on billing as we had it turned off over New Year for a few days in order to make sure there weren't any major issues following the VAT changes. We should be caught up in the next day or so.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Be3G
Grafter

Right, thanks Chris.
Be3G
Grafter

Just had the invoice through… and PN have decided to charge me for two lots of line rental! December's at £10.95 and January's at £11.25. Why'd it think I need to pay again for December's line rental, and can someone please rectify that ASAP?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

On it now Be3G, sorry about that
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Right... unfortunately it's in the process of being taken, so I can't stop it I'm afraid - I'll have to refund you after it's gone through, sorry about that. I'll keep checking and refund as soon as it's gone through.
Be3G
Grafter

Thanks Matt. Having been through this little song-and-dance before though (bill's incorrect, payment's already being taken so can't be refunded until it's taken), I'm inclined to agree with Bud here – there needs to be a grace period during which errors can be corrected. With O2, for example, they don't take any money until a whole two weeks after I've been billed, which is somewhat more customer-friendly. Because, let's face it, Plusnet's billing systems (at least with my account) do have quite a habit of getting things wrong. Lips_are_sealed
Edit: something apparently possessed me to write ‘included’ rather than ‘inclined’.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and when another company did this to me I did at least get a gratuity from them for the time that they had the money out of my account illegally
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just checked it was in Nov took two off  £121 shown on credit card bill 10  Dec, due back about now and got £10 for the trouble
mal0z
Grafter

I've suffered billing problems and complained about them.
Was overcharged and had to wait for refund for 10 days  Angry
But to be fair - James Bailey arranged a free months BB as recompense  Smiley
I've highlighted this thread over on PUG forums by the way.
Addnan
Grafter

I got charged £19.99 for 1 month of broadband, It eventually got refunded. Do they forget my market group?
Bud
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Right... unfortunately it's in the process of being taken, so I can't stop it I'm afraid - I'll have to refund you after it's gone through, sorry about that. I'll keep checking and refund as soon as it's gone through.

I thought the Direct Debit guarantee offers an IMMEDIATE refund if there is a mistake.....
This wouldnt be an issue if plusnet gave a PROPER notice period of a direct debit, because they then would be able to ammend it when there is a mistake so the correct ammount is taken
Be3G
Grafter

I'm not an expert on direct debits, but I think that yes an immediate refund can be made by informing the bank, who would reverse the transaction. I'm not that desperate for a refund though – I simply wish I didn't have to go through this process every few months when the billing system loses its marbles.
mal0z
Grafter

But isn't getting the DD refund then mean you haven't paid anything so then the supplier can claim rightly that you haven't paid the sum that is really owed, and so might put you in default mode.
Would the bank pay what you think was the correct amount. I don't believe they would - but maybe I'm wrong. ?.
v70ben
Grafter

Actually, I think this needs sorting out.
I'm extremely peeved about the Direct Debit error on my account (double line billing).
It's in breach of the AUDDIS (Automated Direct Debit Instruction Service) / BACS ToS with regard to "Advance Notice".
Those requirements state:
The default period in the absence of any other agreement is a minimum of 10 working days plus postal time.

And
With a variable direct debit the originator must provide enough advance notice of the amounts and dates of payment, or any changes to them, in sufficient time to allow the customer to raise any queries prior to payment. This is defined as at least ten working days from receiving the notification.

Now PN's T&C's of service state:
Paying for services
  23. You agree to pay all charges for the equipment and the service, including any additional charges detailed in these terms or the price guide, whether you use the service or someone else does. The method of payment will be either as set out in the service terms or as we otherwise agree with you.
  24. Unless we agree otherwise, we will normally bill you upfront (in advance) for any rental charges for the service. We will bill you later for any other usage charges after the event which the charges relate to. If possible, charges will appear on your next bill, but sometimes there may be a delay.
  25. You may see your bills online at http://my.plus.net/. We will email you at the email address you have provided (or default email address if one is not provided), prior to us sending your first bill shortly after we have provided the service to you for the first time. After that, we will update your bills regularly online. However, we may sometimes send you a bill at a different time, for example if the amount of money you owe us is considerably higher than expected.
  26. You agree to pay the charges on your billing date. You may also need to pay a deposit or a payment upfront before you can receive the service or goods.
  27. If you do not pay your bill, we will send you a reminder or call you. If we do not receive payment within 10 calendar days of the date of that reminder, we may add a late payment charge of £7.50 to your next bill by way of compensation to us for breaking the terms of this agreement. We may also charge you £10 by way of compensation to us for any Direct Debit or cheque payments which are returned to us because you do not have enough funds in your account. The charges set out in this paragraph are not subject to VAT.
  28. We will generally not suspend or end the service or the agreement until 14 days after your payment was due, unless the service terms or the price guide say otherwise. However, sometimes we may take this action earlier. For example, when you reach your credit limit.
  29. If you do not pay your bill, we may ask a debt-collection agency to collect the payment on our behalf. If we do, you will have to pay us an extra amount by way of compensation to us for breaking the terms of this agreement. This will not be more than the reasonable costs we have to pay the agency, who will add the amount to your debt on our behalf (this will depend on the amount you owe us). Any extra amount added to your bill will not be subject to VAT. This paragraph applies even if your agreement with us has ended.
  30. Where we arrange for an engineer to visit your Premises for activation of the Service, or for resolution of a fault, you will be responsible for any costs incurred owing to any of the following:
        1. an engineer attends an incorrect address as provided by you;
        2. the site for installation does not meet the minimum requirements as agreed during the product registration;
        3. an engineer arrives to carry out the installation at the address provided by you, but you no longer want the installation completed;
        4. entry is refused to the Premises, or access cannot be gained, at the appointed time, as agreed between you and us;
        5. you report a fault, an engineer attends your Premises, and discovers the fault is not the result of the Service;
        6. your reported problem, following your request for an engineering visit, cannot be confirmed; and
        7. when you cancel a request for an engineering visit later than 48 hours before the scheduled visit.

I didn't receive 10 days notice of the debit (Email received 23/12 - incorrect payment taken 30/12)
Despite the fact PN were notified of their error, they immediately send the request for payment and insist that the refund cannot be processed until they've received the payment.
I received a response to my demand (Question 31323893, raised 24/12 at 12:43am ) for repayment/correction,  on the 24/12 stating that:
Dear Mr lewis,
Sorry about this, unfortunately a payment request has already been submitted to your bank, so it is 'too late'.
As soon as the payment is confirmed then we'll refund, unfortunately this will take a few days.
I'll place the ticket on hold until we can make the refund for you.

Then a further internal note:
(INTERNAL NOTE)
Customer has been double billed for line rental, ticket on hold, please check that payment has cleared and action refund once it has.

(So you take money off me incorrectly, then have the utter cheek to state they you will check it's cleared THEN action the refund.....)
I then posted http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,81078.msg674313.html#msg674313 and referred the question back..
Clearly I hit a sore point
Dear Mr X,
I have contacted you today and you had requested a call back later on in the day. I will try and give you a call however, the reason for my call was to apologise for the error in your billing.
I have processed a refund of £10.95 and this will take 7-14 days to reflect in your bank account. I am sorry that we were not able to cancel the direct debit or stop the direct debit - this is because of the limitations on our biiling system.
The refund has been processed and I am sorry for any delays and inconvenience caused.

Now we have the original CSC telling me it takes "a FEW days", after you've "stolen" my money... then told you have processed a refund prior to you grabbing my money, but it'll take 7-14days.... it doesn't take you THAT long to grab it from me, in fact I'll tell you now, the AUDDIS system clears this stuff almost immediately, and based upon a 3 day standard BACS cycle. I should also point out that I STILL havent received my refund - and I'm not happy about that.
Something smells a little odd here with regards to your billing systems, they CLEARLY don't abide by the AUDDIS scheme requirements with regards to Advance Notice Periods, which is 10 days minimum unless agreed otherwise, which I have not agreed to at any point and it's not in your T&C's.
As PN clearly state in their T&C's
  27. If you do not pay your bill, we will send you a reminder or call you. If we do not receive payment within 10 calendar days of the date of that reminder, we may add a late payment charge of £7.50 to your next bill by way of compensation to us for breaking the terms of this agreement. We may also charge you £10 by way of compensation to us for any Direct Debit or cheque payments which are returned to us because you do not have enough funds in your account. The charges set out in this paragraph are not subject to VAT.

Quite frankly, What's good for the Goose, is good for the Gander now...
I now look forward to receiving £7.50 for late payment (on your behalf), as I have not received my refund within 10 Calendar Days, and also a payment of £10 by way of compensation to myself for you debiting the wrong amount, the the numerically challenged amongst us, thats £17.50 (Which is not subject to VAT) that wants crediting to my account immediately. Of course, should you refuse this, then I reserve the right to pass the matter to a debt enforcement agency.
I should point out that should you wish to contest that compensation, stating that there is no compensation clause on my behalf... I'm sure it will be classed as an Unfair Contract Term by the office of Fair Trading - after all financial penalties for errors (on my part or yours) should apply both ways, which has been clarified by the OFT in guidance, stating:
For a contract to be fully and equally binding on both supplier and consumer, each party should be entitled to full compensation if the other fails to honour its obligations.

I look forward to hearing from PlusNet shortly.

Of course, you could quite easily have avoided this...... by ensuring your billing systems work correctly, and putting in place a system that abides by the rules and schemes that are there to protect us from such errors.