Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big problem on speed

ziggx
Grafter

Big problem on speed

Hi there,
21C conversion didn't go as smoothly as hoped - although I must complement the efforts of the support team who have been helpful, courteous and made sterling efforts to sort the problems. Essentially, my old router died in the course of the upgrade and as we all thought that was the least likely problem, I was disconnected for around 6 days. The result was, upon reconnecting yesterday,my speed was way down:

Downstream    Upstream
Data Rate(Kbps)     239                  448
Noise margin (dB)     36.7                  26.9
Output power (dBm)      13.0                  6.2
Attenuation (dB)               9.0                  4.0
Given my speed before was close to 7mb/s these are a little disappointing. I guess I'll need to wait for my line to retrain before I get out of "dial up" territory. Still with the noise margin and given that I'm just over 100 metres from the exchange, I ought to get a pretty good result once everything is sorted.
Ziggx
18 REPLIES 18
James
Grafter

Re: Big problem on speed

Hi Ziggx,
I don't think that waiting for your line to retrain is going to help at all, your noise margin is *huge*.
I take that you have tried rebooting the new router and that you're wired directly into the master socket via a filter?  Can you try disconnecting all of your other telephony devices and if possible use the test socket found behind the faceplate on your master socket?
ziggx
Grafter

Hi Jameseh,
I've rebooted a couple of times today - I've got a BT installed adsl box and going straight on the test socket with a new dsl filter hasn't made any difference. I notice my line hasn't been checked since 2009-05-12 12:45:07 when it was estimated at 7mb/s - my current line speed is measured at 250  Embarrassed Could this be the problem?
Thanks
Ziggx
James
Grafter

Hiya,
This is the problem:
Data Rate(Kbps)        239                      448
Noise margin (dB)        36.7                      26.9
The noise margin is *mahoosive* hence causing the sync/data speed to be extremely slow.
I'd be inclined to think that the new router might be faulty 😕
ziggx
Grafter

Hi there,
Brand new netgear modem router - guess what?
speed 285 kbps down 448 kbps up
line atten 10db down 4db up
Noise Margin 35.35db down 23.0db up
So it cant be two faulty modems can it?
Looks like there is a serious problem on my line as I was getting 7mb/s before the 21C upgrade...
Ziggx
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You have attenuation and noise margin the wrong way round? Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ziggx
Grafter

Hmm wish I did...
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Something very strange going on there.
Yes the Noise margin is ridiculously high but with that attenuation you would expect to synch MUCH faster even with such a high margin!
Also why is the Upstream sync only 448 if you're on 21CN ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ziggx
Grafter

Tell about it... However on the bright side I've talked to Support and they have agreed that there is definitely something wrong with my line post upgrade. BT has been dragging its feet but I hope that Support can persuade them to acknowledge and then fix it cos the problem has to be at their end (or at least with something they've done or not done at the exchange). My feeling is that BT is not as responsive as it ought to be. On the wholesale side of BT, customer care appears to be a low priority. Anyway, let's hope today brings a marked improvement!
Ever optimistic
Ziggx
ziggx
Grafter

Yipee! Praise the 21C Plus Support Team and pass the biscuits!
This is more like it:
lenseman
Grafter

Guess there may still be hope for the rest of us, only time will tell.
John B.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Not unless you live in the exchange. Cry

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

itsme
Grafter

I think that the main problem with @ziggx connection is that a faulty router upped the SNR margins to a high value. The main problem now is to get BT to restarted the 10 day training period as now the line as a MSR of 256kbps so will be hard in the future raising a fault for low speeds.
James
Grafter

Almost but not quite.
I spoke to Keith about this one early this morning.  It looks like the faulty router caused a banded profile to be applied.
Got the banded profile removed, problem solved.
scootie
Grafter

can BTw have the banded profiles removed from a line permently.? if they can i wouldnt see them removing mine as its performing to so called spec