Did you mean: 

Big increase in Ping

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Big increase in Ping

Thanks for getting back to us John.

As per my previous response the discrepancy between the BT speedtester and any others are likely related to This. It's an issue our suppliers are investigating. Sorry for any inconvenience and confusion caused.

It's also worth noting that there a lot of factors which can affect latency, including the response time of the server getting back to you so it's possible that a speed test server may act more quickly at one time than another at another time.

To be honest I wouldn't focus on the latency, if you're having speed issues I'd focus on that as the latency issue may either be a red herring or it may just be a side effect of the speed problems you may be experiencing.

As far as I can see from reading this thread the only change we've recently made to your service was to increase the signal to noise ratio(SNR) on your line to help reduce the error count on what is a long line. 

Setting aside the latency for now, what do your speeds look like on a speed test?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
sleepyjohn
Grafter

Thanks for Gandalf's reply,  but in response to the question:

Setting aside the latency for now, what do your speeds look like on a speed test?

I've already attached quite extensive  .csv files on two of my previous posts here showing all the results of the many different speed tests I've done.  Both historical and recent.

Have you had trouble finding and opening these files?   My originals were in .xlsx format but when I found this website doesn't accept .xlsx  I had to convert them to .csv which might have caused some garbling.     Would you like me to attach all three .csv files again,  or how about if I upload my original .xlsx files to a cloud and quote the url for you here?

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @sleepyjohn,

We can see the files that you've attached on your previous posts, thank you for confirming that the performance of your connection is still similar to this.

I've tested your line and can see that there are a number of underlying errors but the test hasn't picked up the cause of this:

xDSL Status Check
Circuit ID: CBUKXXXXXXXX Service ID: BBEUXXXXXXXXX
Telephone NO.: NA Test Executed On: 02-06-2019 10:43:39
xDSL Status Test Summary
Sync Status: Circuit In Sync
General Information
NTE Status:   NTE Power Status: PowerOn Bypass Status:  

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 36.0 59.5
SNR Margin: 6.5 7.1
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 90312 801413
Speed: 876 2208

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 2272 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 1817
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 480
Indicative Line Quality: A Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 5
Custom Thresholds
MTBR_RED: MTBE_RED:
MTBR_GREEN: MTBE_GREEN:

Please can you run through our troubleshooting guides here and let us know how you get on. If these troubleshooting checks don't resolve the problem, please report the issue here and let us know when you've completed it.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
sleepyjohn
Grafter

Thanks for Emily D's reply last week.   Apologies  I haven't been able to give this issue the attention it deserves recently because I've been too busy preparing to go away for an unknown length of time.

All I've managed to do is to add a few more test results for today to the ones I previously attached.  Please see my updated "Results.csv".    You will see that they continue to be noticeably variable as if there is still some unknown unidentified factor affecting them.    The worst results appear in the mid-morning busy period which leads me to suspect they may be related to some form of traffic contention or build up of interfering crosstalk on my very long copper line.    

Ideally  I'd like to see a series of measurements of the observed errors taken at regular intervals covering both the morning busy period and quieter times, and verify if they bear out my theory of the errors being time-of-day related.     Are you aware of any programme that could automatically run a series of tests like that?   Perhaps some kind of cron job ?Huh

I'm sorry I'm not going to be able to run any more tests from this end for a while since I won't be here,  so can only hope you'll be able to continue this investigation in my absence somehow.

I did previously run through your recommended series of tests and checks with the exception of trying a different router or ADSL filter on my line.  I'm afraid I don't have access to a spare router.   None of these tests and checks have come up with anything obvious.  

Although I'll be overseas as from tomorrow,  I'll continue to monitor this thread and will look forward to any suggestions you have on how we might move forward.

Thanks, and best regards,         +   John 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us John.

It's difficult for us to advise further as we've already run the tests we can down your line. I've just completed the tests again and they really aren't showing anything different than what Emily has posted apart from the SNR has rocketed to 15dB.

When you get back home if the problem hasn't rectified itself, I'd definitely recommend heading on over to http://fault.plus.net to report a fault to us, so we can arrange an engineer visit to investigate the Openreach network.

Hope you have a good time away.

Cheers, Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet