Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best router?

Routefinder
Grafter

Re: Best router?

Quote from: pwatson
...... the RT-N66U does but only if you turn off the VPN support. 

Hmm! now I use VPN to link to the company system and for my old Thomson (ADSL one) and my now in use Netgear DG824G I have as far as I recall never had to set anything to use the VPN.................having said that if I go for one of the N66U versions will I be interested in IPTV Huh  How is IPTV different from the likes of the BBC iPlayer and the other channels similar services which we already have a 'smart TV'???
My key criteria based on usage to date of routers is :-
Ability to change the default IP to 192.168.x.x i.e. x of my choosing
Mac filtering
Control over the DHCP range and ability to use static internal IP's for such as wireless printers.
Lockdown of non authorised wireless connections.
At this stage I surmise the Asus will have such user controls?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It's the VPN server element that needs to be turned off (I think) so VPN passthrough will still work. 
The BT Wholesale implementation for IPTV (ie the mode that BT Retail use for their TV products) use multicast and users have reported router compatibility problems.
Routefinder
Grafter

Many thanks for the insight Smiley
Oddly or maybe interestingly over at Broadband Buyer the DSL version has one review that is quite damning but the RT version has 3 reviews that in the main are praiseworthy even if I read one right (almost) diametrically opposite experience to the dsl review........................so not sure what to make of that???
Edit ~ methinks..............scratches head...........that I should go for the RT-N66U and use my Netgear in bridge mode until FTTC arrives soonish.  There was a helpful thread hereabouts re Netgear in bridge mode that I printed out at the time a few weeks back.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

http://www.trustedreviews.com/asus-dsl-n66u_Peripheral_review
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Routefinder
Grafter

Quote from: w23
http://www.trustedreviews.com/asus-dsl-n66u_Peripheral_review

Ah! thanks I had found and forgot about that one though as Tech site review I also like to find actual purchasers reviews and that is what there is BB Buyer.