Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best BT Openreach ADSL faceplate?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Best BT Openreach ADSL faceplate?

What's the uptime for those stats Damian? Can't comment much about the errors without that, otherwise that's exactly what we wanted to see.
There's nothing wrong with your syncs speed, it should give you a profile of 6.87Mbps so you should be getting download speeds near that 6.7 you mentioned.
Can you run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test. Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).
Can you also check your Current Line speed (Login required) (don't post your phone number!).
Damian78
Grafter

Router had been on for 29 hours.
Will run the BT Speedtest shortly as currently streaming from Lovefilm.
My current line speed is:
Phone exchange:
FLEETWOOD
Estimated line speed:
6Mb (This may vary between 5Mb and 7Mb) - Checked on 2013-04-23 18:17:38
Current line speed:
6 Mb
Anotherone
Champion

OK, well assuming there's no problem with the BT IP profile then your Current Line speed is the first problem as that hasn't updated to match the BT IP Profile. But that's a lot of CRC errors DS for a 29hr Uptime, and I'm surprised you are still on Fastpath (no FEC errors) unless you've asked for Interleaving to be turned off.
Was that a reboot of the modem/router 29hrs ago and have you rebooted twice altogether since the last power up or have you had loss of sync?
Can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
Damian78
Grafter

Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
6.24 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.24 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 6.88 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
0.37 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.37Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.
That's the BT Wholesale test.
Interleaving is off. Not had any problems with my phone line crackling or not receiving calls (since the first ADSL faceplate died). New one should be hear today so can post results later after changing it.
Any suggestions?
Anotherone
Champion

Plusnet upping the Current Line speed to match the current BT IP Profile will help.
Damian78
Grafter

Thanks.
Just need a friendly PlusNet bod to look at this 🙂 Anyone?Huh
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Your line profile is set at 6.8Mb/s
Anotherone
Champion

Well done Chris.
@Damian
also, the following method is probably the best to use when you need to lose sync for any reason - altering settings, changing filters, etc -
Log in to the Modem/Router, in the Internet box, click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session (this is not the sync), wait about a minute then power down the modem/router. Wait another minute and then unplug from the line, change whatever, if router settings then try and do them all off-line so you can reboot etc. Take at least 10 minutes doing all this before plugging in again and powering up. Log in to the modem/router and click Connect to establish a new PPP session.
This way the exchange DLM doesn't see your loss of sync as a dropping connection. HTH.
Damian78
Grafter

Ah right.
I'll try that method tonight.
Damian78
Grafter

Okies modem or connection was reset at about 4.30ish this afternoon but pre installation of the new filter resulted in a 26ms PING (I've upgraded to the PRO connection...is this worth doing) and download of 5.86mbps.
Router stats:
Uptime: 0 days, 1:29:27

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 6,816

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 114.88 / 2.93

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.9 / 0.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.1 / 49.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.6 / 6.1

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 59,271 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 111

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 264
After the change out the PING was 28ms with a download of 6.04mbps
Router stats:
Uptime: 0 days, 0:01:11

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 6,903

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 29.43 / 72.82

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.9 / 0.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 27.0 / 49.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.1 / 6.0

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 5

So we seem to be moving in the right direction.
Anything else I can do to boost more speed!!!??  Tongue
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, right. The addition of the Pro add-on looks as though it's resulted in a Line reset. This has had 2 obvious effects.
A change in ping, but quite why it was so poor previously as Interleaving was off, I'm not sure but part of it may have been dependant on which Gateway you are on, another part may be related to any congestion at the exchange.
Secondly, the reset starts with a Target SNRM of 6dB whereas previously your had been at 3dB.This means you get slightly slower speed until the Exchange DLM decides to lower the Target to 3dB, so it's a matter of patience.
Whether the Pro add-on is beneficial depends. Which Package are you on, and what are your main uses of the connection? - Streaming is obviously one thing based on your earlier post. Do you do gaming and need as low a ping as possible?
Keep a note of  which Gateway you are on Sometimes changing Gateway is beneficial. If you want to Gateway hop, log in to your modem/router and go to the Internet Box as shown here and click Disconnect. This drops the PPP session to the ISP. Wait about 30 seconds and then Click Connect - that's similar to the method mentioned before except you are npt powering down and dropping sync, just starting a new session which usually starts on a new Gateway.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The Pro add-on shouldn't cause a line reset but it probably caused a drop in PPP session
Anotherone
Champion

Whether it should or shouldn't, the Target SNRM has changed to 6dB and Interleaving is off. My words were "looks as though it's resulted in a Line reset"
Damian78
Grafter

Er....so what happened and shall I leave as is???
Anotherone
Champion

I'm not sure what you think you could do anyway, as I said it's a matter of patience, but if you could answer the questions from my previous post about which package your are on and your usage then some constructive comment could be made about the Pro Add-on.