cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Belkin Router Problem

oldgeezer
Grafter

Belkin Router Problem

Some months ago I replaced my PN supplied Technicolor with a Belkin 8636-4v1. This has given me very good wireless performance together with providing a ADSL sync speed higher than any previous router.
The week before last I noticed that browsing speed had fallen to the floor. I reset the router and for a couple of minutes things were back to normal. After this however speeds dropped again. I switched off my wireless connected laptop and then I noticed that the wireless active LED on the router was still lit.
I checked using inSSider and found that my secured wireless signal was now open.
I checked the router and sure enough the security had been turned off. No one else has access to the network and passphrase and passwords were long and complex.
I reset the router and all was well until last week when I noticed the speed had dropped again and also that PN usage figure was far more than I normally use.
The router was unsecured again.    Sad
I have dumped the Belkin and bought a Netgear DGN2200 which seems to be working well at almost the same speed.
I'm wondering if some Herbert has discovered some back door into the Belkin router. I shall check at regular intervals if it remains secured.
oldgeezer
7 REPLIES 7
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Belkin Router Problem

Did the Belkin have WPS (Wifi Protected Setup)?
oldgeezer
Grafter

Yes, but I didn't make use of it.
oldgeezer
ejs
Aspiring Hero

There is a security flaw with part of the WPS standard, which could have been used as the backdoor into the wifi.
oldgeezer
Grafter

Thanks for that.
The Netgear router gives me the option to disable the router PIN number 'so I've done that. There were very few options available with the Belkin.
oldgeezer
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Actually on the Netgear you can set up an access list as well for even better security
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Incredibly, from a quick scan of the manual, it appears that the default wireless security on this router is 'Disabled' so any factory reset (intentional or not*) may leave the wi-fi wide open.
*I have had more than one router in the past which reverted to factory default settings on power loss (presumably due to some fault).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

It would be a bit strange, but probably not impossible, for just the wifi security settings to be lost.