cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Belkin F5D8235-4 with fibre connection..and general fibre setup questions

Highlighted

Belkin F5D8235-4 with fibre connection..and general fibre setup questions

Had my fibre installed yesterday, and have a Belkin F5D8235-4 which had been using (along with the standard ADSL modem) quite happily for ages.
Now I've fibre, I turned down the router from plusnet seeing as the Belkin has an ethernet WAN port.  It's all connected up, and working....but download speed is sooo slow for fibre....anything between 0.5-20mbps...upload is better, between 15-20.
Just to confirm the setup, the BT device connects to wall plug, and then ethernet from that to the router WAN port.  The router is then configured to use PPPoE using my @plusdsl.net address and account password.
This should all be ok, right?  if so, I'll raise an issue a support issue about the slow speed.
Two other questions:
1) the router does has a "static IP" option (I have a static IP) described as "A Static IP address connection type is less common than others. Use this selection only if your ISP gave you an IP address that never changes" - I shouldn't be using this should I?
2) The engineer who came yesterday said you CAN connect to the ethernet cable direct to the wall plug - indeed this fits ethernet.  Can I do this with my setup, and is there any advantage?  If it bypasses the BT device I guess that's an upside...maybe?!
Thanks,
Ed
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 116

Re: Belkin F5D8235-4 with fibre connection..and general fibre setup questions

1) the router does has a "static IP" option (I have a static IP) described as "A Static IP address connection type is less common than others. Use this selection only if your ISP gave you an IP address that never changes" - I shouldn't be using this should I?
No, you are correct in using PPPoE.
2) The engineer who came yesterday said you CAN connect to the ethernet cable direct to the wall plug - indeed this fits ethernet.  Can I do this with my setup, and is there any advantage?  If it bypasses the BT device I guess that's an upside...maybe?!
I think he's a bit confused. You CAN connect a PC ( using a PPPoE Client ) directly to the BT Modem  but you can't connect Ethernet directly to the wall plug. The wall plug is a VDSL port ( like ADSL but faster! ).
Highlighted

Re: Belkin F5D8235-4 with fibre connection..and general fibre setup questions

Many thanks MisterW, that's all great.
Will contact plusnet now to talk about the speed issues.