cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been Connected, really slow. Thinking of cancelling!

rlancett
Grafter

Been Connected, really slow. Thinking of cancelling!

After almost 3 weeks after having my phone line installed, the broadband has finally been activated. I am very disappointed with the 0.2mb speed, even though I was told I would be getting 3mb. I called plusnet earlier today and they said to give it a few days for the line to settle down, and I should be on ADSL 2, not ADSL. But after just checking the messages on the member centre I am not eligible for ADSL 2, even though the exchange supports it. I am not going to put up with such a rubbish connection for £11 a month.
19 REPLIES 19
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Been Connected, really slow. Thinking of cancelling!

You have to give the exchange 10 days from activation to test your line and settle on a stable sync speed.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: darkxavier
.... I am not going to put up with such a rubbish connection for £11 a month.

The trouble is, many alternative ISPs will give you exactly the same connection for rather more per month.  Plusnet and many other ISPs use BT equipment.  At some (smaller) telephone exchanges that is the only option.  If you are fortunate enough to be served by a LUU exchange then you could find an ISP that installs its own equipment in the exchange.  That might give you something better but it might not, depending on what is the root cause of your problem.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and now all current packages can get ADSL2  - I am on Value and have it.
Is your exchange on  ADSL2?
rlancett
Grafter

The exchange is at Fernhill Heath, its ADSL 2 and 21CN. BT wholesale says that I should be getting 1mb on ADSL and 3mb on ADSL 2. I just want to know why I am not eligible for ADSL 2.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

who said you are not eligable?  the only package that wasnt was Value, but it now is
rlancett
Grafter

In the member centre, see attached pic
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Maybe some automated result that hasn't yet been modified to reflect Plusnet's change of policy?  Either that or some Plusnet employee who was never told about the change.  
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Possibly the message is badly worded, 'not eligible' should perhaps be 'not beneficial'. As shown on the Internode graph on this page ADSL2 is unlikely to give any benefit where ADSL1 speeds are below about 4Mbps, and on moving to ADSL2 speeds might well reduce and the experience can be less stable.
Nevertheless you should not be getting such low speeds, but as you have been advised the training period might correct that.
It would help others to give more informed comment if you post your router stats (sync speeds, attenuations and noise margins).
David
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: darkxavier
BT wholesale says that I should be getting 1mb on ADSL and 3mb on ADSL 2.
  Crazy
That's just nonsense!
1mbps on ADSL = 1mbps on ADSL2.  Cool
rlancett
Grafter

Here are my router stats. I am about 2.5km away from the exchange.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There are several things worrying with that result
The equivalent line length from the attenuation is about 4.3 km
With that attenuation and noise margin you should be seeing speeds in excess of 2000kbps
Can you connect the router to the test socket with nothing else connected and report the stats
Oh - and you probably are on ADSL2 already judging by the upstream speed
rlancett
Grafter

Have tried the test socket, exactly the same results. I'm going to leave the router switched on and see if I get an improvement over the next week. I have had no connection drops, so hopefully the speed will rise.  Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It won't improve unless you do a resync (preferably in the test socket with nothing else connected) and if the result is about the same speed you need to raise a speed fault as something is badly adrift
maximod
Grafter

The figures are not good for that line length.
I am on a 5km line and here are my stats.
My noise margin does fluctuate from 12db to 17db,not bad for an old line.
Interesting tests i have been doing,as i need the phone plugged in to the line,i am currently using a passive bt splitter/filter connected to the test socket,and router and dect base unit connected to it.
I can get a better noise margin by just connecting the router direct to the test socket without filter/splitter.
I have bought a xte-2005 face plate filter and works great with just the router connected,but connecting the dect phone base to the phone out on the faceplate ruins the routers noise margin.
If i connect a normal phone instead of the dect base,the noise margin is unaffected.
I suspect the active filter is picking up intererence from the base,so for me,the active adsl filter does not work in my setup!