cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth issues

zapp
Dabbler

Bandwidth issues

Hi, this is the second time in a month or so that I'm having bandwidth issues which is a real problem for gaming.  The ping is around 35 but bandwidth is around 1.5 mbps, it's usually around 5.5 to 6.
Just did another speedtest and I'm under 0.2 mbps for bandwidth now.......unusable.
17 REPLIES 17
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Bandwidth issues

Hi zapp,
I've checked over your line and I can't see anything noticeable other than a few errors on your line that could be causing an issue.
Can you please advise of your layout? Do you have any extension cabling between your router and Telephone Socket? Are you connected to your Test Socket at all?
zapp
Dabbler

Hi, I have a cable from the main socket that runs upstairs to my computer.  The router is a new Netgear.....that's been working fine for several months.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Zapp,
Looking back at your previous thread here - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,125323.msg1088995.html#msg1088995 - it is not clear what was the problem nor the out come.  So forgive me I'm going to take this back to basics.  How to do all of the following can be found in the "speeds issues" 'sticky' at the top of this forum.
1. The speed / ping test was this done over wifi or a wired connection?
2. Are you ADSL or fibre?
3. Can you please do a BTW speed test and follow on to the "further diagnostics" section
If you are ADSL...
4. Are you connected to the master socket?
5. Can you try a new filter?
6. Can you please post the router stats here?
7. Can you post your current speed from the PN portal?
This data will provide insight into what is happening on your service and thereby inform what is the best course of action to properly resolve your issues.
...there have been two updates whilst I was typing this - the cable to upstairs - is that Ethernet or phone wire extension.  This immediately sounds like an issue.  The above might clarify matters.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

zapp
Dabbler

1. Wired
2.ADSL
3. OK
4.Yes
5. Can try
6. Netgear N600  DGND3700v2
7. PN portal?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

What sort of able is it that you're running upstairs?
zapp
Dabbler

Sorry....ethernet.
http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do
I hope you can read this.
Speed seems to have returned.....have you done something?  Ping still around the 30 ms but bw at 6.3 mbps........
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I haven't changed anything on your line, so it could be an intermittent issue.
What we could do with next time, if it does happen again, is if you could run that Speed Test again and grab a screenshot so we can see it, we can look at getting this investigated for you.
zapp
Dabbler

Ok Chris, thanks for your help anyway.  How do I grab a screenshot?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There should be a key on your keyboard for it, it might say 'PrtScn' or something similar, like this: http://imgsrv.worldstart.com/ct-images/print_screen_1.jpg
Once you've pressed it, open up Paint and 'Paste' and then Save the image as you normally would. If you need a hand at the time, you can just give us a shout Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Zapp,
Thank you for the quick update...
Quote from: zapp
4.Are you connected to the master socket? - Yes

Hi, I have a cable from the main socket that runs upstairs to my computer.

Can you please clarify the above answer and statement.  Exactly how is the router connected to the master socket please? Consider cable types, lengths and filter location.  For a fully wired installation, the ideal is...
{master-socket} - {filter} - << router cable - as short as possible >> - {router} - << Ethernet cable - as long as you need it to be >> - {PC}
                                    \ _<< phone extension - as required >>

6. Netgear N600  DGND3700v2
7. PN portal?

Q6 - I was looking for the router stats, not model details.  You can find out how to access the router stats here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
Q7 - Look here - https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed - you will need to logon using your account details

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

zapp
Dabbler

Hi Townman....this.....{master-socket} - {filter} - << router cable - as short as possible >> - {router} - << Ethernet cable - as long as you need it to be >> - {PC}.......is my setup.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Zapp,
That is good news!
As for reporting the results of the BTW speed test, you can copy & paste the results as follows... albeit a bit untidy, unless you edit it a bit!

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download  Speed
3.28 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.28 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 4.8 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed
0.21 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.21Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

zapp
Dabbler

FAQ
Results Image not loaded

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
6.05 Mbps

0 Mbps 7.15 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6.05 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 6.72 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.28 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.45 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.28Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps

There you go...
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Thank you Zapp, I look forward to seeing the other request information when it is available.