cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banded profiles - time for a FAQ or knowledgebase item?

grahamt
Rising Star

Banded profiles - time for a FAQ or knowledgebase item?

I've just been reading the 'sync speed issues' thread started by deltec, which contains an interesting discussion on banded profiles. Quite a few people on the trial have been affected by banding, and it's good to see PN taking the issue seriously. There's now a fair amount of info on what banding is and how it works, but it's scattered across many forum threads. Would it be a good idea for someone (with more knowledge than I have) to put together an article or FAQ on banded profiles that would help newcomers to the trial and (eventually) the ADSL2+ service?
Graham
46 REPLIES 46
scootie
Grafter

Re: Banded profiles - time for a FAQ or knowledgebase item?

yep i would like this one cleared up once and for all
James
Grafter

http://community.plus.net/library
If someone wants to write something in there, I'll be happy to clear up any inaccuracies.
Great opportunity to collaborate information both from a what is meant to happen perspective as well as a what actually happens one.
itsme
Grafter

Except we do not know how it should work and also more importantly we do not know when we are on a banded profile and what the bands are. I believe that I was/am on a banded profile of 3068 but after 14 days  without resyncs I had one just over 3 days ago and the modem resynced at 2268. As this will/did knock my profile down I manually did a resync and again had a sync speed of 2268. So was this a new banded profile and as it been more than 3 days without a resync have it been removed and why was the banded 3068 changed when no resyncs happened in 14+ days?
grahamt
Rising Star

Here's the best info I've got one one of the bands (copied from a contribution I made to another thread - the top line is from some feedback in relation to a ticket I raised a while ago)
======
WBC 1M - 3M Medium delay (INP 4) 6dB Downstream, UC Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)
======
The 1M - 3M is (I think) the downstream banding. INP stands for 'input noise protection' and there's an article about it here:
http://www.support.draytek.co.uk/kb_vigor_inp.html
'UC' might stand for 'uncapped' - I'm not sure. 6dB downstream is presumably the target SNR, though I've only ever got that after a resync when I'm not banded: 14-16dB is more typical when my downstream sync is capped at 3069. A 6dB upstream target, though, is about right.

I've don't know what the other bands are, but I was told (in relation to the same ticket) that they are not very finely tuned. There's no 2M - 4M band, for instance, as far as I know. I think the next one up might be 3M -6M, but I'm not sure.
Graham
James
Grafter

1-3, 3-6 and 6-9 I think.
godsell4
Rising Star

INP == Impulse Noise Protection.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Grafter

Copy of part of my ticket concerning banded profile:
WBC 4M - 9M Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Downstream, UC Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)
Would seem to indicate a very wide band of 4 - 9M (?). Mine seemed to be banded for 7+ weeks and whatever I did (reboots, trying to change SNR, etc.) my sync was ALWAYS 7127k wheras it had previously been as high as 11+M with a profile of 10M.
I would be interested to hear more about banding and the way it works.
scootie
Grafter

james your sure the about the 3-6 one as i get the bottom end at a fixed 3072 on 15db but months ago before my line became  premently stuck on 3072 i use to get the top end of my sync at a fixed 4554 on 9db.
surely becuase of the nature of banded that would mean my line getin a fixed 4554 sync no higher no lower on resyncs that this was the top end for my line at least. meaning these 2 sync rates are the two extremes of a banded profile
i will leave the write up for some one else as mine would read as
BTw banded profiles what aload rubbish
personaly i think its time that BTw dumped the profiles at least the low end 2. we need all the sync we can get down this end of the wood and to have 500kbps in throughput stolen off me from what adsl 20cn gave is a joke.
my line ran perfect at just over the theshold for a 3000kbps proflie on a 12db noise. all ive had from 21cn DLM is 9db 4554kbps and 3072kbps 15db there seems to be no inbetween with these banded profiles.
and for the first time ive even thought of moving to a llu provider if BTw carry on using this worse dlm than before
godsell4
Rising Star

There is a rumour, from somebody on a TBB forum page who should know about these things, that SRA is on the way from BT possibly be the end of the year I think. I'd not jump to LLU just yet, but nobody would blame you if you did. A shame the UK is not following the Australian way of working. Sad
--
3Mb FTTC
Grafter

SRA? Anyone care to explain in layman's terms what it is and what are advantages/dis-advantages.
scootie
Grafter

seamless rate adaption ( SRA ) http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adsl_technology.htm#SRA
@godsell.
i wouldnt leave plusnet on my current 50db atten line but i will soon be moving to manchester to an area which is on the endangered list in broadband terms and very lucky if u get 1mb there so on that line i will be need to squeeze every last drop out of it and not have the bras profiles to anoy me
godsell4
Rising Star

Asbo - same for me, my wife has eyes on a house where the whole village is 4km from the exchange, it does not have a 21CN date either! But TT are in the area, it is a Market2 exchange, so I would be going to TT on LLU in that case.
--
3Mb FTTC
Grafter

A word of warning that if you manage to get out of a banded profile not to do any fiddling. See my post here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,78870.msg641289.html#msg641289
scootie
Grafter

the line am going to be taking over is currently on talk talk fone and broadband. am looking at getting be unlimted on there thoe.
as for my banded profile i dont think my line will ever see the back off it now its been months of a stable connection. i left the dam thing for over 3 weeks synced and got all  Smiley as i did a resync thinking having a stable connection with no resync for that long the DLM might pull its finger out  Roll_eyes