Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banded Line

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Banded Line

It's not listed in the BTWholesale WBC price list, which also lists an "EU Access Modify Order" at £0.00.

Robert88
Grafter

So still waiting for any response, either from here or the fault I raised

Connection no longer resets itself and has been steady for 5 days now but the problems are still here

8. Noise margin: 24.4 / 15.1
9. Line attenuation: 19.3 / 39.0
10. Signal attenuation:

19.3 / 37.2

A BTWholesale test gives me this

Download Test
PING 175ms
Download speed achieved during the test was 2.41 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 - 7.15 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 6.05 Mbps

Upload Test
Upload speed achieved during the test was 0.22 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 0.83 Mbps

A speedtest from a 3rd party website (Not the most accurate I know)

PING 190ms
Download 1.45Mbps
Upload 0.17Mbps

DSL Line status on the Plusnet Router Hub manager

Downstream: 6.854 Mbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps

But with all that the speed is nowhere near any of that, trying to watch a video online or download anything it never goes above 0.4Mbps connection (I have to have Netflix on 480p quality) 

tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

@Robert88 Thanks for contacting us about your Wi-Fi, check out the help and support page here https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193 I've tested your line today and can see that your download is currently 6mbps on your broadband connection Smiley

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@Robert88 Your problem(s) are the High noise margin and ping figures - until the cause of them is identified and resolved you are not going to improve.

Also, your upload stats figures don't make sense - the BT profile says 0.83Mbps, but your DSL line stats seem to suggest only half of that.

John
Robert88
Grafter

Uuuuhhh who said anything about WiFi? I'm using a wired connection at all times

I know the line says it has 6Mbps download, the IP profile says as much as does the Router information

But...

BTTest.png3rdPartyTest.png

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Robert88 wrote:

Uuuuhhh who said anything about WiFi?

I was surprised to see that mention of Wi-Fi too.

One can understand that some customers on the forum don't apprciate that the broadband connection and Wi-Fi are two separate things, but it's concerning that an established member of the Help Team gets them mixed up.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @Robert88

I am so sorry, totally didn't mean to send you that...but I have tested the line and updated your fault here. I need you to move your services into the test socket for me and reply on there so someone from our Faults Team can look into it. The DLM settings will keep changing cos there is a potential fault on the line, so we need to ensure it isn't anything internal before we progress the fault Smiley 

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
Robert88
Grafter

Thanks for getting back to me, just noticed the Router reset and the fault ticket got updated

I saw the Router speed is now 9Mbps and the BTWholesale test is slowly getting back to what it once was before all this started

Download Test
Download speed achieved during the test was 5.31 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 - 21 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 8.18 Mbps

Upload Test
Upload speed achieved during the test was 0.29 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is 0.83 Mbps

Moved to the Test Socket
tinytaco
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Cheers @Robert88 Smiley Let's see if the drops stop in the test socket, because that is the issue that is causing your speeds. Someone from our Faults Team will update you on that open question.

Noor
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Robert88

Do not bother with the BT speed tests. There needs to be a focus on attaining stable sensible router stats. The report of a detected error points to a physical issue requiring attention. Until that is located and rectified, there is zero value in running questionable speed tests.

Is your router normally connected to the master socket?

Do you have any phone extensions running from the master socket?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Robert88
Grafter

@Townman 

The Router is always connected to the master socket with no phone extensions, this has always been the setup for the last 5+ years, and it's been a stable 6Mbps+ nearly the whole time, the only time there's been any trouble was 2 years ago when I had this exact same problem where it turned out the line WAS banded and after a simple fix the speed actually went up to 10Mbps and has been like that until this last week, where, after the Router got disconnected a few times due to power cuts and accidental plug removal, the line started acting up again like it did 2 years ago

(https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/Super-Slow-Speed/m-p/1634650#M331714) 

That's why this whole thing started with me asking if it was the same problem

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Much as one might reasonably expect - there’s only the faceplate (with no extension connection) between the router and test socket. So other than full adherence to the process removing the face plate is not likely to make any difference here, unless it’s a filtered face plate.

Yes the SYMPTOMS might be similar to last time, you do not know the CAUSE then or at the moment now. Elevated SNRM / banding is an action consequential to line instability (temporary or chronic) caused by some yet to be determined factor.

Typically these situation occur due to slightly iffy joints getting damp. Circuit testing can rectify the fault for a time. The joint drying out can make the fault disappear for a time. Your circuit being ‘knocked’ (disturbed) in the cabinet / joint can cause such issues as well.

The way I read the Plusnet comment suggests that a fault has been detected, but the location is not clear, possibly being so close to the end of the line that there are grounds for considering (eliminating) the possibility of it being an internal problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.