Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Banded Line

Robert88
Grafter

Banded Line

Had this problem a couple of years back

Broadband speed has been dropping considerably recently, from 10Mbps down to 0.5Mbps and doesn't go back up

There have been power outages recently that have cause the router to be reset / disconnected repeatedly and may have caused the line to be banded

"Checking the connection from this side I can see the automated line management has banded your download speed. I have now reset the line for you to removing the banding while you are plugged in to the test socket."

This is what was done last time I had this problem and it seemingly fixed it for a few years

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

26 REPLIES 26
Robert88
Grafter

Re: Banded Line

So any help?

Done all the usual tests (Quiet line etc.) and the router has been on and connected for a few days now with no disconnections but the speed has actually dropped since the last post down to below 0.5Mbps now

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Together with our network partners at Openreach we will try to provide you with the best speeds possible. If you feel this is not the case, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Robert88
Grafter

Before I go raise a fault ticket

Is it possible to check if the line is banded? 

https://community.plus.net/t5/ADSL-Broadband/Super-Slow-Speed/m-p/1634650#M331714

Last time I had this exact same problem you (Plusnet) were able to fix it more or less straight away after checking the line?

Robert88
Grafter

Ok now the connection has reset itself (must have been externally as the router was untouched)

Internet is now running at 592 Kbps.......

and the noise margin has shot up

8. Noise margin: 7.3 / 20.0
9. Line attenuation: 19.8 / 39.3
10. Signal attenuation: 19.8 / 34.4

Again, this is the exact same thing that happened last time in the previous thread I linked above

Robert88
Grafter

Well now my connection is resetting constantly, 4 times in the last hour

Speed is at around 1Mbps or lower

8. Noise margin: 15.9 / 18.8
9. Line attenuation: 20.3 / 40.2
10. Signal attenuation: 20.3 / 36.2
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@Robert88 If I were you, I would raise the fault ticket as suggested by @Gandalf .So long as the QLT was perfectly silent, you need Plusnet /BTOR  to investigate this, especially given that high SNR value.

John
Robert88
Grafter

Already have done

just posting to see if they are able to fix it from here like they did last time

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Probably not, as they don't seem to have any Help Team staff actually on site, which I suspect they need.

John
Robert88
Grafter

So just going to add it here so I have a record of it

Ever since I posted this thread the connection is now resetting every 3-4 hours

Speed always ends up around 1Mbps or lower and the Noise Margin / Line & Signal attenuation are constantly fluctuating (mostly towards the negative)

(current stats)

8. Noise margin: 21.6 / 29.6
9. Line attenuation: 20.8 / 41.2
10. Signal attenuation: 20.8 / 37.0
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@Robert88 wrote:

Already have done

just posting to see if they are able to fix it from here like they did last time

Such is not a "fix" unless it follows the correction of a physical fault on the line.

the 20dB SNRM very clearly indicates that there is something causing the DLM to aggressively manage the line.  A reset would be a nugatory action, for without addressing the reason for the DLM's aggressive management, then line would very quickly be banded again.

As requested by @Gandalf please follow the faults process.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Robert88
Grafter

Already going through the faults process just waiting for a reply 

I'll add that my connection has been pretty much perfect for the last 2 years since the last time this happened (line was banded then unbanded)

"Checking the connection from this side I can see the automated line management has banded your download speed. I have now reset the line for you to removing the banding while you are plugged in to the test socket. As you have mentioned, please let us know how it goes after a couple of days."

The only reason I'm posting here is that last time they fixed it from here much faster than waiting for a response on the fault report

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

There is always a reason the DLM bands a line. Removing the banding without addressing the reason is not likely to be a long term cure, even if the result is comparatively acceptable.

In the absence of a clear history to the previous incident it is not possible to affirm or question if the previous action in isolation was the resolution to the issue. Doing a line reset costs money and therefore ought not to be done prior to following the fault elimination process.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@Townman wrote:
Doing a line reset costs money

No it doesn't, at least in the sense that there's no line reset fee that needs to be paid each time one is done.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I have recently been given to understand that a line reset is treated as a chargeable line order. Do you have a reference for such charging (or non-charging) rates please?