cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad weather means slow speeds?

UberMensch
Grafter

Bad weather means slow speeds?

It seems that every time there's some nasty weather (very bad rain etc), my internet speed goes from awesome down to abysmal. Visions of flooded telephone exchanges are passing through my mind right now Tongue
Anyway, I've taken the first BT speed test and got this:

These days I rarely have problems with my internet connection from PlusNet so I'm pretty sure it's due to something out of their immediate control.

I'm on the Broadband Your Way Option 3 package (I don't think it's available anymore, but compared to what's around now I think it's the best PN offer for the price)
6 REPLIES 6
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Bad weather means slow speeds?

Hi there,
Ouch that is a bit slow. You may have had a low sync event, which caused your profile to drop, but the BT one has recovered to 9000 (you're presumably on 21cn).
Login to https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed and advise what it says for your current profile/line speed. It should match the BT one (within 12hrs of any change). If it's matching, run the PN speed tester http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/
If the throughput is still low run the BT sppedtester again and post the results as well.
As for the cause of a low sync, can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other intermittent noise on the line? Dial a 1 to get rid of the dial tone. If you need more time before the NUT (number unobtainable tone) dial the quiet line test 17070 option 2. (Don't use any ringback or other test). Who is your Telephone Line Rental provider?
(BTW - got to laugh at the BT speedtester joke - 99999kbps max achievable speed - they're expecting to give you Fibre to the Home shortly then! Some people would be happy to get 3 of those 9's never mind 5)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Both the IP Profile and the profile on our side are set to 9000. I'm trying to do a quick line test to see if there is anything obvious wrong, however it's not working quite as quickly as I'd hoped.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Nope, nothing obviously wrong showing on the line test. Can you try another speedtest and let us know the results?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
UberMensch
Grafter

Estimated line speed:
    Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
That's what the data transfer speed page says.

Here's the mybroadbandspeed.co.uk test:

Recently while playing Team Fortress 2, I get a fine ping until all of a sudden it jumps all the way to 960 and above. Anyone who's a gamer would understand how annoying this is right in the middle of a match.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
I'd recommend raising a fault so we can do some proper investigation on this. Certainly doesn't look pretty. Sad
UberMensch
Grafter

Quote from: Mand
Hi there,
I'd recommend raising a fault so we can do some proper investigation on this. Certainly doesn't look pretty. Sad

Done. Hopefully this problem can be resolved before the end of the week Smiley