cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad speed after product change - ADSL2+?

Denzil
Grafter

Bad speed after product change - ADSL2+?

Can some nice staff member tell me if I have been put on ADSL2+? I have just changed from an older product to a new one, and this has coincided with a terrible speed drop. I used to get a 1Mbps profile most of the time, with occasional drops to 750kbps. It is now 135kbps. The sync rate and noise margin are all over the place. I have just fired it up to see 672kbps and 22dB.
I am on a very long line of about 65-66dB, so if I have been given an ADSL2+ that might explain why it has got so much worse.
I haven't tried the master socket yet, because the sync rate is so variable anyway I'm not sure I'd tell the difference!
6 REPLIES 6
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Bad speed after product change - ADSL2+?

Can you set your router to force ADSL1?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Denzil
Grafter

I haven't found any option to do that, though I'm happy to be corrected. It is a 2Wire HGV2700 with Singtel firmware.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Nope, you can't force the mode on a 2700 I'm afraid.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Denzil,
You are definitely on ADSL on 20cn. The profile has been dropped due to a number of disconnections. See below:

How is your kit set up as in test socket/extension cables etc? As the SNR is currently 17dB, which will be keeping your sync rate low.
Jojo Smiley
Denzil
Grafter

Hi, Joanne,
OK, maybe it was just coincidence that it seemed to start when the product changed. I have an ADSL Nation filtered NTE5 faceplate, with the router pugged in on a short cable and a length of CAT5e going upstairs to the PC. Connected to the other side of the faceplate is a single DECT phone on an extension lead.
The Radius graph is interesting. There is definitely something happening in the afternoons, isn't there? Some of the short blips were down to me reconnecting in an effort to get a better sync rate, but I can't explain why it would lose the connection completely between 2 and 5pm. At least, there is no obvious localised reason. I'll do some investigating.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Denzil,
If you do have a test socket behind the faceplate it could be worth trying it with a standard filter in there.
Thanks for your help.
Jojo Smiley