Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad line speed from overnight

Vega
Rising Star

Bad line speed from overnight

Hi
My line sync speed has dropped to 824kbps! I was getting around 2mb and the last 24 hours it has drastically dropped. To make things worse we did have a powercut this morning which made the router disconnect and now my green DSL light on the router keeps flashing continuously without going solid green. I used my old Netgear to connect and successfully connect but at get 824kbps. I think maybe my other router requires a faster speed to connect. I tried the test socket and I only get 900Kbps a small increase as expected but still overall awful performance.
Is there anything that can be done at PN end? I notice my profile is 1.25Mb.. has it always been this?

Many thanks
Matt
7 REPLIES 7
Vega
Rising Star

Re: Bad line speed from overnight

Here's my router stats Sad
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Taking an educated guess I would say that your broadband signal suffered a series of "outages" which caused the automated equipment in the telephone exchange to raise to target noise margin to 12 dB and as a result the sync rate you can achieve has been cut.  I think your other router may have developed a fault, so stick with the Netgear for the present and hope that your line is stable now.  I don't expect you will get a response from Plusnet until Monday. 
Vega
Rising Star

Under my PN Connection Settings my High Speed Internet Line speed is now set to 0.35Mb  Sad
Matt
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

A BT Speedtest will probably show something similar.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Vega
Rising Star

I have no doubt it will...
Anyone know how long it will take (if at all) for the target noise margin to go back down at my exchange?
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi Vega,
It does indeed appear that your line has been disconnecting regularly.  See below the connection logs for your line over the last 7 days:

Also looking at the logs from the DLM system it looks like the drop in sync rate occurred on 04/08/11 but the line has been dropping and erroring during the last 7 days at least.  The drop in sync rate is likely due to a raise in SNR (currently 12dB target SNR) caused by said disconnections with DLM attempting to automatically stabilise your line at the cost of performance.
The SNR and IP profile should return to normal if the line stabilises.  I have requested a manual change to your line profile to reduce target SNR to 9dB in both the upstream and downstream and also to add interleaving to your line to correct the large number of errors that are occurring.  I would recommend that you keep your router powered on and connected permanently over the next 72 hours to ensure your IP profile updates successfully.
If you'd like me to take a second look or you don't see an improvement within 72 hours reply to this thread.
Vega
Rising Star

Wonderful thanks
I'll keep my router on and watch the performance over the next few days
Cheers