cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Router cannot play iPlayer on TV

hamilton36
Grafter

Bad Router cannot play iPlayer on TV

I think I have narrowed my earlier problem to a bad router. Video freezes every 2 or 3 minures, then I get a brief "downloading" signal and it then carries on for another 3 minutes and it keeps doing that.  Today, I unplugged the routher and brought down my other Thomson (normally kept upstairs connected to my PC) and it played perfectly.
The "bad" router takes far too long to connect. For the first minute the power light is on and nothing else happens.  Then the broadband light starts flickering and stayes flickering for another minute. Finally all lighta are on after about 3 to 4 minutes.  In comparison the "good" router completes that procedure in just over a minute.
I am sending you a pictre of the back plate of the bad router and its delivery note.  If you are sending these routers to everyone now, that could be the cause for so many problems.  This is of very limited use to me.   Can you help?
Many thanks,
Alex
[Moderator's note by Adie (dvorak) removed attachment with personal details. please remember this is an open forum to which everyone has access. ]
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Bad Router cannot play iPlayer on TV

Which is the good router just out of interest?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I am probably reading this wrong  Embarrassed but are you saying that you has two routers connected to the phone line at the same time  or was one of them linked to the other via the wireless
hamilton36
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Which is the good router just out of interest?

This is the good one.
Alex
[Moderator's note by Adie (dvorak) removed attachment with personal details. please remember this is an open forum to which everyone has access. ]
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm as puzzled as Jim, how have you connected the two routers?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
hamilton36
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
I am probably reading this wrong  Embarrassed but are you saying that you has two routers connected to the phone line at the same time  or was one of them linked to the other via the wireless

No, Old Jim.  When the router connected to TV and the TV is switched on to play iPlayer, the one upstairs has to be switched off first.  The router is connected to TV with an Ethernet lead.  I think you are looking for something that isn't there.  Router switched on and connected to TV with ethenet lead. Works with one and not with the other.  The only difference between working and not working is the router.
Alex
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Switching between the two routers with different characteristics is very likely to be seen by the exchange as an unstable connection and so it will probably raise the target noise margin to try and make it stable. You'd do far better to pick one router to stay on 24x7 (preferably plugged in to whichever is the master socket and then use homeplugs to to give you a 200mbps ethernet connection to the other location. You'd then be able to use both locations simultaneously.
hamilton36
Grafter

Thank you Jelv. What you are suggesting is, in fact, what Pansonic recommed, but their branded homeplugs cost £70, which I thought was too much bearing in mind that I use iPlayer on TV very rarely - perhaps once a month.  They are cheaper on Amazon and eBay, so I will get them.
I have now connected the "bad" router to the PC, re-programmed the printer to connect to it via Wi-Fi and everything works OK.  In a few days, I wll try that router to see if the line by then "recognize" it and  the problem does not arise.
Thanks,
Alex
jim:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I bought these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_8?ie=U... (£35 for the pair)
I'm very happy with them, I have two separate ring mains in my house and they successfully work across them. I'm currently working like that with the router on the master socket in a room on the other ring main - I spend a lot of time using a VPN to remote desktop in to an office PC. Speeds are normal (I'm on 20CN ADSL1 Max Premium):

and there's nothing wrong with the latency either:
C:\Users\John>ping ntp.plus.net
Pinging ntp.plus.net [212.159.6.9] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 212.159.6.9: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=251
Reply from 212.159.6.9: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=251
Ping statistics for 212.159.6.9:
   Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
   Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 18ms, Average = 17ms