hatherden
Dabbler

Bad Plusnet Modem Driver Link - Missing Files

FYI,
On the driver download page for older hardware at:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/archive.shtml
the windows software link for the Zyxel P-630-S USB Modem points to:
http://www.plus.net/support/hardware/setup.exe
which is an 80kb file. From looking at the CD supplied with this modem, this setup.exe file is only one of dozens files required to install this device.
7 REPLIES 7
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Broken Modem Driver Link

Not necessarily. There are usually help files, userguide, installation instructions & etc on a CD. The USB drivers are usually quite small. What happens when you run the setup.exe file?
hatherden
Dabbler

I got a couple of error messages and the driver did not install. That's when I dug out the driver CD. The setup.exe file on the driver CD is also 80kb, but there are a whole bunch of other files in the same folder, and some in a sub-folder.
Yes, there were other files on the CD (pdf's, Acrobat Reader install file, the autorun menu etc.) but I am not confusing these with files related to the driver software installation.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Are you trying to install it for Vista or XP?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
hatherden
Dabbler

XP.
You can download and run setup.exe yourselves if you don't believe me.
Upon execution, you immeditately get an error:
Error
Installation failed.

Clicking OK produces another box:
RUNDLL
Error loading stmcfg32.dll
The specified module could not be found.

It then asks you to plug in the modem. When I did this, nothing happened - apart from 'ADSL Modem' appearing as a unknown device in device manager.
stmcfg32.dll is one of the files on the CD.
Anotherone
Champion

I don't think anyone is suggesting they don't believe you texaspete, as I'd guess you are aware for some hardware, drivers for vista may be different for drivers for xp or even 9x/me, just a case of trying to establish what is going on. Also some hardware/drivers/OS's are very fussy about the way you try to install the driver which I presume you're doing i.a.w the suggested method in the installation guide.
Can we just clarify - are you saying you can't install the driver from the CD, so tried the website and that doesn't work either?  If so, the only suggestion I can make at this point is try the manufacturer's website to see if you have the current version.
HTH.
hatherden
Dabbler

Apologies, my initial post isn't very clear.
Initially, I tried the software that is available for download. This didn't work. I then dug out the original CD, and was able to successfully install the modem.
The purpose of my post was to inform the powers that be that I believe the software PlusNet have made available on their website for this particular modem needs looking at.
Anotherone
Champion

Right, from what you have already posted, it's not a broken link really - it goes to the right place, it's a case of missing files, so someone from PN needs to take this up and ensure that the missing files are put in place.
Could I suggest you amend the title to read "Bad Plusnet Modem Driver Link - Missing Files" which should get someone's attention to get things corrected.