cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back to square one

janedunkley

Re: Back to square one

Hi Joanne, at last someone with an idea, why hasn't this been thought of before I wonder? Hunches are often the best way of solving a problem. As using the computer cabled up is not really an option how come Plusnet can't just try changing the channel and seeing if that solves the problem? The service couldn't be any worse so isn't it worth a try. It does seem across the board that anything to do with computers is always the problem of the customer and not the seller, if I ran my business that way I would have no customers left and wouldn't need a computer, perhaps that's the best way to go!! would solve the problem. Anyway thankyou Joanne for taking an interest, pity it has to be through a forum. Am off to pack up and send back the test router now, lovely sunny day here.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi janedunkley,
I know it may not be practical for you to work wired to your computer but if you could do this so we can definitely rule it out then we can work on the wireless. There's no point messing around with the channels until we definitely know that's the issue or we could be heading down the wrong route and it could take us longer to get to the root of the problem. If you can confirm that it's ok with the wire then I don't mind ringing you today or this evening to go through the channel set up for you.
Jojo Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you are having to stand in the window it sounds like you might not be connecting to your own router!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Or could your Macbook just be too far from your router?  Most wireless routers will cover a typical suburban house if positioned centrally but if they are in one corner of the house then the wireless signal at the opposite corner of the house might not be strong enough to give a reliable connection.  If you have an old house with thick stone walls, that will tend to block the wireless signal.  Modern metal-backed cavity wall insulation can also cause all sorts of wireless problems. 
Wheel_nut
Grafter

janedunkley

Internet working fine this morning, can't remember the last time it was so easy to reply to mails. No doubt this will be the case now for 3 days so I am told to do the whole process of testing again when it starts over. Hmmmm, watch this space all you kind people who are trying so hard to help.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Jane,
The post I linked to earlier would suggest that the issue you are seeing is a Wireless incompatibility between your Macbook and your Router. Whereas these are NOT faults with either piece of kit, there are two fixes suggested for this which you should apply to circumvent the problem you are seeing.
1) Change the SSID of the Router to a simple six letter (or less) name. This is very easy to do and I am sure that Joanne will be willing to call you and prompt you through the procedure.
2) Change the Wireless encryption from WPA - AES to WPA - TKIP only. Again, this is very easy to do and I am sure that Joanne will be willing to call you and prompt you through the procedure.
I realise that your eyes will have glased over at the mention of the three and four letter abbreviations but stick with at and it can be fixed. It really is so simple that I think I could teach my Collie to do it.  Cheesy
R