cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back to square one

janedunkley

Back to square one

Am I the only one who gets a flickering connection which Plusnet cannot seem to acknowledge is something to do with their service? I have been with Plusnet for 5 months, it has never worked, at first they sent in BT engineers (they sad it was a fault on BT's  line),  two in two days, who after some considerable time and diagnostic tests said  it wasn't on the BT line.  2 weeks of OK working (how did they do that?) and then back to square one although considerably better than the original no connection for hours at a time. Now back to all the old tests as connection gets worse and worse - no doubt another BT engineer who will tell me the line is fine. An email telling me to do all the things they have already told me which I have just done already in the last few days, as they "couldn't get me on the phone" perhaps because they said I had to plug the test router they sent into the main socket (not easy as I have to climb up 8foot to the ceiling behind a bookcase which I have to move!) and take out any other phone connections. Perhaps I have been far too easy going over this, shame I have a placid nature, it is getting a little frayed now. It took some considerable time to get onto this website - connection keeps going off and on! Customer services all bar one rather curt woman have been very kind if a little condescending at times, but as soon as they pass the problem on to another department I might as well fart in the wind. I bet the people dealing with it sit at desks opposite each other in Sheffield but never talk unless it is to discuss qualities of the coffee machine! Cool. Can anyone else help? Cry
21 REPLIES 21
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Back to square one

What do you mean by a flickering connection
janedunkley

Just what it says, on off, on off, on off, several times a second, most of the day. Makes doing anything on the internet very difficult and very slow if at all.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

When your connection gets dropped, for whatever reason, it takes several seconds to re-establish.  I cannot think of anything that could go "on off, on off, on off several times a second"; nothing responds that quickly.  Most people don't react that quickly either, how can you tell when it is on and when it is off?
janedunkley

Believe me you can. Apart from being very slow and "connection to server reset" appearing, the light on the router flickers. The Plusnet thingy at their end shows the connection cutting in and out too but they don't seem to do anything positive about it, just tell me to do the same things over and over again as if it is a fault my end. I think it is called "try and cover your arse". They think I am just too blonde and stupid because I speak English not computer "it doesn't appear in the Oxford English Dictionary but you are an idiot if you haven"t heard it" language. Blind me with science because when I did science A levels it was just toooooo siiiiimple. There is now a huge light hanging from the front of my head with Richard written on it!
Wheel_nut
Grafter

You really need to calm down and try to understand that anybody taking the time to post here is trying to help you with your problem.
You need to explain WHICH light on your Router is Flickering. There are usually five lights : Internet, Broadband , Wireless, Ethernet and Power
Are you using an Ethernet Connection .... or Wireless?
Are you able to log into the Router and cut/ paste the Router Stats here? It would help to know whether it is the ADSL Connection that is dropping or the LAN connection is failing. The Router stats would give us a clue.
The PlusNet agents do not work at weekends so until Monday morning, the best you will get is help from you fellow customers.
Edit: Typo
janedunkley

Hi Wheelnut, lovely collie dog, I have one too, am quite calm and not expecting anything wondrous, hey I have had crap internet for 5 months now. Afraid I only understand English, I pay for wireless internet so that I don't have to understand capital abbreviations, all I want is to pay someone else to provide me with a tool, unfortunately I am paying someone for a tool that is faulty, seems I can't just take it back to the shop for a refund or get one that isn't broken. It seems when it comes to stuff that whizzes through the ether they have you by the short and curlies. Would love to take my cute little collie to sort them out instead of sheep! She's a fantastic little ratter too.
janedunkley

Don't know why they censored, wasn't a rude word, sorry, maybe it means something else in USA!
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Hi again Janedunkley,
The reason that there is a mismatch between your expectations of the service and what you are receiving is that unlike most orher services, ADSL (sorry for using abbreviations) is a "Wires Only" service which is delivered down your Telephone Service which you buy separately.
This means that your Internet Service Provider is only responsible for providing the service at "their" end of the sometimes wet piece of string that BT provide between their Exchange and your Telephone point.
BT do not even have to guarantee that yout Telephone Line will be good for anything other than Telephony and this makes it very difficult for you to get Broadband quality issues fixed. Indeed, the easiest way to get Line problems fixed is to report them as Voice Telephony issues!
(Most) Internet Service in the UK do not offer an "Engineer assisted" installation, leaving it to you to follow the installation procedures yourself. These are fairly straightforward if followed to the letter but, like training Collie Dogs, there are many pitfalls which will bite you.  Grin
Please take the time to give is the answers to the questions in my previous post. The help you will get here is from people who have encountered similar issues. Moreover, there are people here who have formal qualifications in relevant sciences and understand the technoloy behind ADSL.
Give your Collie a pat from me ....
R

janedunkley

Hi Wheelnut, sorry for seeming facetious, just that its becoming a bit of a joke here! Neighbours think its funny, they don't have a problem. It's the internet light that flashes and we are on wireless, no ethernet, we use a Macbook, can't be doing with microsoft and all that virus malarkey, no crashing with Mac. I have already done all the testing in the main phone socket etc. twice, and with a test router - no difference there. BT have sent out two engineers who have tested the line with diagnostic machines and they are all working fine. They even tested all the rest of the sockets and the phone and the filters, they were fine too. Just giving my little collie and my "bot" dog collie/alsation cross their tea. Dot the collie is very tired as she has been ratting all day while we stripped the floor out of the horsebox. Bot dog doesn't understand the finer arts of being a big outdoor dog and spent most of it sleeping! Thanks for the help. Jane.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Dear Jane.
                If you have the Thompson (PN Supplied),  the flashes on the internet light indicate that traffic is moving over the system and is completely normal.  If JoJo (PN Staff) sees this, she might post a connectiion log graph on here for you to see your actual connection and disconnections
                                            Yours Pierre
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi janedunkley,
Sorry to hear you're having a frustrating time with your internet. Are you noticing these drops while you are connected wirelessly or with a wire to your router?

This visualisation of your connection logs show disconnections over the last 7 days and although there have been a few drops I wouldn't look at that and say it was a bad line. I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it though.
Jojo Smiley
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I find a good practical test of an internet connection is the BBC iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/ .  If you can play a program without any pauses then the speed and solidity of your broadband connection must be tolerably good. 
If you download a program (to view later) then you are told in advance how big the file is.  Note that down. Note the time it takes to download the file.  You can then use the two numbers to calculate an aggregate measure of your broadband download speed over several minutes.
janedunkley

Hi, having finally managed to get onto this site after some considerable time trying this morning, my internet connection has been going on and off for at least the last hour, I can confirm as I have kept saying, I have a wireless connection. I use a laptop and don't see why I should have to stand in the window with a cable attached and write with one hand - after all I am paying for what is supposed to be a wireless connection. After 5 months the problem is still there, I keep running tests that make no difference so it would be nice if Plusnet could actually accept that I have a problem and sort it out.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi janedunkley,
I don't doubt you have a problem but in order to pinpoint it the first thing we need to do is rule out any possibilities. As we don't see the same disconnections you do, my first hunch would be that it's your wireless that's dropping out, rather than your actual line dropping. If that was the case it maybe just a simple case of the wireless channel being interfered with, in which case we could solve that by changing the channel. This is all speculation, of course, so the best way to find out would be to use it wired for a time and see if the issue is still apparent. Once we've done that at least we'll be one step closer to a solution.
Jojo Smiley