Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back @ PN

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Back @ PN

Sorry about that. I think it's an issue on our side whilst your Direct Debit is being set up. You can disregard that message though - your account won't be restricted.
Reddog
Grafter

Thank you PN my fibre line was connected today without a hitch.
I was a bit shocked when the engineer tried to get money out of me with total lies. He said, "I'm sorry to tell you this but your line is too damaged for fibre and that he could only do it if we paid for a new wire from the house to the pole".
The reason i was so shocked is because only about a few years ago BT installed a new everything to the pole, since the old one got burned in a fire.
My bf said to him that he's worked on fitting lines with a friend who works for Openreach.
Shocked to hear this the engineer changed his mind and said he had found "a good pair" and it would work now. He never did change the pair out btw as my bf was watching him all the time. Not going to mention the company name but it wasn't openreach, it was another company.
Just one question. In the router settings under Toolbox/user management it says  Diagnostics   Intercept    as the user and not Admin.  Is this normal? I didn't see this with the non fibre TG582n.
Also this firmware doesn't show as much info as the standard TG, that one showed you errors and a few other things like sync speeds, snr and such, but the fibre router doesn't?
Anyway thanks very much to PN and Chris for helping me sort this out.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
The FTTC Router doesn't show you much line information, this is all stored within the BT Openreach Modem and it's locked down unfortunately. We can provide you with line details if you request them. I'm sorry that the engineer was trying to get money out of you! I'll report this to our Provisioning Team to feed back on.
Just one question. In the router settings under Toolbox/user management it says  Diagnostics    Intercept    as the user and not Admin.  Is this normal?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this? Could you provide a screenshot?
Reddog
Grafter

Like this Chris.

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's a user that was created within the Fibre Firmware. It's in case the connection drops, you'll be presented with the screen to attempt to 'Connect' without the need to enter the routers Username and Password.
Reddog
Grafter

OK cool.
Anyway i'm really made up with the line so far.
I'm getting the maximum speeds both up and down and my latency is single figures to some game servers and 14ms to bbc.co.uk which is really good since i live in N.Wales, not sure if that's with interleaved on or not.
Router seems fine, even the wireless is giving great speeds @ 10m and through 2 walls. So my son is happy with his console upstairs.
Don't see any problems or drops in the routers event logs but i really do hate this archaic router UI. It's horrible for those that are used to seeing a lot more details and updating FW and obsessed with stats like i am  Sad
Still it does it's job and i'm getting a Netgear WNDR3700 N600 that i will likely hook up after the line settles down.
So i'd just like to say a big Thank You to PN and it's staff for a great service and really helpful people as well that reply on these forums.
THANK YOU  Kiss Kiss Kiss
Alison
xreyuk
Grafter

14ms from North Wales, I would guess you're not interleaved. I'm in Southport, I'm interleaved with a delay of 8ms and I ping at around 21-22ms.
Reddog
Grafter

@Xreyuk
Don't you usually have to ask for fast path though.
I think Interleaved is always default unless you ask for FP and i haven't asked for it for fibre.
If FP is enabled then 14ms is ok.
Shame all the stats are locked up on the ECI openreach modem Sad
I don't even know if RouterStats or similar software works with these routers. That's what i used to use to see if PF was enabled.
I'm getting 80/20 as well atm which is strange because i thought it was a 40/20 package. Maybe it does this while in training mode?
Reddog
Grafter

Double post sorry.
@Xreyuk
For some reason though i get higher ping to say Liverpool or Manchester than i do to London. It's just hops and backbones i think. 5 hops only to bbc but i get a lot more to Liverpool.  22 ms i get in fact to Liverpool versus 14 to London. The difference in miles is pretty big. London showing as <50miles on the speedtest is way off.
I live on the Isle of Anglesey so not that far from you.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Reddog
OK cool.
Anyway i'm really made up with the line so far.
I'm getting the maximum speeds both up and down and my latency is single figures to some game servers and 14ms to bbc.co.uk which is really good since i live in N.Wales, not sure if that's with interleaved on or not.
Router seems fine, even the wireless is giving great speeds @ 10m and through 2 walls. So my son is happy with his console upstairs.
Don't see any problems or drops in the routers event logs but i really do hate this archaic router UI. It's horrible for those that are used to seeing a lot more details and updating FW and obsessed with stats like i am  Sad
Still it does it's job and i'm getting a Netgear WNDR3700 N600 that i will likely hook up after the line settles down.
So i'd just like to say a big Thank You to PN and it's staff for a great service and really helpful people as well that reply on these forums.
THANK YOU  Kiss Kiss Kiss
Alison

You're very much welcome, I'm glad everything is looking good Smiley