Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BTW to offer ISP direct control over DLM

Force9Original
Grafter

BTW to offer ISP direct control over DLM

Good news more end user control.
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2011/10/31/bt-based-uk-isps-and-users-gain-control-of-broadband-lin...
Only seems  to be for  21CN maybe FTTC ? lines
Any news from PN ?
This is will sway me back from Be* to Plusnet FTTC if you get end user control.  Wink
Cheers f9o
22 REPLIES 22
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: BTW to offer ISP direct control over DLM

The original RevK blog post:
[quote=http://revk.www.me.uk/2011/10/bt-listening-to-us.html]BT listening to us?!
Again actually calling them BT. I know, scary stuff 🙂
So what have BT done right?
BT have a DLM (Dynamic Line Management) which tries to fine tune the settings on each broadband line to ensure it remains working at a good speed on a long term basis. The settings can be adjusted in many ways, and they are a trade off. Some settings can make a line more reliable against certain interference but also make the latency higher. Some settings can make the line faster but less reliable. There are a lot of settings.
Now, the DLM, taking care of all of these settings automatically, sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately it has its limits. In some cases the DLM makes matters a lot worse than simply picking some settings and leaving them. It is also impossible to properly tell the DLM what the customer wants - some people want the highest speed, but they know that the line will go off line at high speed every night and don't care as they are asleep! Some people must have a line that is reliable and really do not mind if it is set to only 500K if it works all the time. These are extremes, but especially with reliability the DLM itself causes resyncs and changes in the name of keeping the service reliable! In some cases the line characteristics mean the DLM cycles through different settings over a period of several weeks - thinking it can do better and then finding it cannot over and over again.
BT introduced some changes a while ago that allow the DLM to be slowed down - told not to make changes as often, or even told not to make any more changes. The issue there is that you get stuck with whatever settings you now have.
Now, on BE lines we have no DLM at all. We have direct control of the settings and we let customers tinker as needed. Our customers, or our support staff, can sort lines out if they are a problem and leave the settings where they work well.
So BT have finally listened to us and soon (December I think) we will have the controls to actually make changes to the settings and turn off the DLM on lines. We aim to expose the settings on the control pages so that customers can also make changes.
In most cases the DLM will do fine, and this won't affect most people - but those with iffy lines or special requirements will find this invaluable as a way to get their line working the way they want it.
So, well done BT for listening - I know it has taken a long time but looks like we may finally have something we have been asking for.
Now, can we have cheaper bandwidth please 🙂
Posted by RevK at 10:27
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
godsell4
Rising Star

Guess this is not going to be available to Market1 20CN connected customers.  Can PN confirm this?
If it is, please set my line to always use 9dB SNR and we are happy.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Probably true Cry
Quote from: ispreview
A reader asked for clarification on whether or not the change will only affect 'up to' 24Mbps ADSL2+ (21CN) lines. AAISP have informed us that, sadly, it looks like it will. In other words those who can currently only get the slower 'up to' 8Mbps ADSL (20CN) service will not benefit.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
x47c
Grafter

From my cynical point of view it could make things even worse if you let some of the more lunatic and halfwit end users get control of something they don't understand.
Then they will muck about with it - and when it no longer works properely moan about the system being c**p.
I'd suggest that the ISP's only give control after the customer has had to confirm some sort "admission clause" they they muck about with it at their own risk.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There's two steps to this, BT give the controls to the ISP and then the ISP gives an interface to the user. Plusnet might only make use of step 1.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Force9Original
Grafter

Quote from: x47c
From my cynical point of view it could make things even worse if you let some of the more lunatic and halfwit end users get control of something they don't understand.

Works well on Be*  Wink
Maybe end user control could be part of the Extra package or Pro addon. Value customers  can  request service profile changes via tickets or calling CSC.
That way its a monetised service for the bean counters
StuartUK35
Grafter

I would'nt mind controlling my FTTC line.......
I'd set it so my 'PRO' gaming is configured for browsing UK servers, and not French/arab world or anywhere else other than the UK  Sad Sad Sad Sad
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Guys,
Yes, we can confirm this will be available to us, but as for passing on control to the end user we don't have any plans for this at the moment. This would also involve development work which we don't have time scheduled for.
Jojo Smiley
Force9Original
Grafter

Thanks jojo
Will a profile request change work via tickets/calling CSC?  Just like the DML opt out ?
The 3db  fastpath  profile will be a popular request Wink
Shame their no plans to offer end user control. It might create more work for CSC ?
Some users may only want a gaming profile for a limited time,  then switch back to a streaming profile say ( 6db  Inp2) for the iplayer ect.
Thanks f9o
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Force9Original,
It won't be something that a customer can request. We're going to use this as an extra tool in our faults process, so when a faults agent feels that a customer can benefit from one of the profiles it will be much easier for us to apply.
Jojo Smiley
Force9Original
Grafter

So it an extention of the DLM opt out.?
The hard fix profile worked far better on the huawei msan I had trouble with.
I've got a relative, think of joining PN and this kind of info should help sway them your way, if they can opt for a hard fixed profile on 21cn.
Thx  Wink
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I would like to see DLM option on the control panel to turn it off just like Interleaving as I think the fault team only do this to turn off DLM (is a bad idea because when raised the fault, they think something wrong with the line, ask to try different router, filter, sent out BT engineer even if the customer want to get DLM turned off)
I want to see control panel for SNR set, DLM turned off, IP Profile adjusted.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: goldenadsl
I want to see control panel for SNR set, DLM turned off, IP Profile adjusted.

I can't see this happening any time in the near future.
Jojo Smiley
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Joanne
I can't see this happening any time in the near future.
Jojo Smiley

Sad Sad Another long waiting again! First 88.2% in Oct, next delta correct by BT in Dec and now no plusnet control panel until few years but if other isp's can do that to customers, then why can't PN do the same ?