Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BTO/Plusnet think this is acceptable

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: BTO/Plusnet think this is acceptable

Whilst I agree having that particular guru on the case would be helpful, I'm thinking that perhaps a user guru with experience of this sort of issue and intimately familiar with fibre connections may be most helpful right now, as so far Plusnet and BTw don't seem to have the answers (or of course answers that BTw/OR are admitting to)!
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Morning all,
Apologies for not jumping into this thread sooner, I've been wading through 150mb+ spreadsheets from BTW to see what the current state of the exchange/parent exchange are in based on LenAsh's location.
It seems that this could well be a congestion issue at the parent exchange given the symptoms however I'm awaiting an updated copy of the spreadsheet (due today) to check this as it looked like it changed status in the version last week.
I'll get this looked over as soon as they make the information available to us and then post back on the findings  Wink
Anotherone
Champion

Well done Adam, I was thinking that was a good probability as we've experienced this sort of thing before and BTw/OR certainly don't seem to own up to these things until put under pressure  Roll_eyes
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi Adam,
Interesting revelation - you rather suggest that BTOR are only able to provide ISPs exchange congestion data in a massive spreadsheet which you have to explore manually?  Further the ISP has to deduce / navigate the exchange hierarchy to determine if there is "up stream" congestion?  You then have to wait a period for a new spreadsheet to know if the problem is still present?
How diabolically stupid!  Angry
BTOR / BTw should be providing a real time system into which any ISP can put a phone number and be instantly advised of direct and indirect issues.
I trust Andy Barker is beating up the other BT divisions to deliver such improvements?  Alternatively has anyone in PN looked at if / how an enquiry interface might be constructed onto the spreadsheet?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AndyH
Grafter

@ Adam C - What has happened with Plusnet's own monitoring (i.e. http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/)? Have you checked Plusnet's traffic management monitoring for other users on that exchange/SVLAN to see if they are seeing a degraded service?
In the past, Plusnet (and other ISPs like AAISP/Zen) have picked up congestion a lot quicker than BTW from their own monitoring. I think it's a lot better to use your own monitoring platform to see if users are still affected and then report back to BTW.
@ Ash - Which exchange are you on?
Edit: I should add, BTW have a SLA for FTTC where an end user should be able to get a minimum downstream throughput of 70% of their BRAS profile (or 20Mbps for 40/10 and 40Mbps for 80/20 - the 70% depends on whether you can reach those speeds) for 90% of the busiest 3 hours of the day. In Ash's case, this will be about 30Mbps, which he is clearly not able to achieve. Therefore, this should be raised as a fault with BTW.
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks guru  Wink  Also thanks for letting me know that the TBB BQM will also help highlight the issues.
LenAsh
Grafter

Hi all
for info, my line sync and throughput during the day is a solid 38/8. Downloads are 4.4 Mbps from good sites. Watching anything streamed is a breeze.
This is utterly stable until after 6.30 and it then the throughput goes completely hideous.
AndyH
Grafter

Which exchange are you on? If you put your number in here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ it will tell you.
LenAsh
Grafter

Oakham - this is at 20.35 today

20:40

Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: LenAsh
,,,,,,,,,,,, my line sync and throughput during the day is a solid 38/8. Downloads are 4.4 Mbps from good sites. Watching anything streamed is a breeze.........

Did you really mean 4.4Mbps during the day? or did you mean 4.4MBps? or were you talking about "Downloads" as opposed to Browsing?
AndyH
Grafter

Your TBB Speed Results look like classic congestion to me.
Normally, it takes BTW a few days to increase the capacity but it can sometimes take longer. I checked the Planned Engineering and couldn't see anything for your exchange.
LenAsh
Grafter

4.5MBps download speed - which is correct for a 38Mbps sync...  my bad  Embarrassed
AndyH
Grafter

4.5MB/s is correct for 38Mbps.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Morning all,
Following on from picking up this, I'm hoping we can finally get some closure on the cause of this issue today and then we can begin exploring the resolution paths we have as this is a slightly different situation from the link posted above with it being the parent exchange. I'm a little uncertain on a switch in VP's fixing this as the throughput will no doubt be causing issues for all end users of the child exchange  Angry
Quote from: Anotherone
Well done Adam, I was thinking that was a good probability as we've experienced this sort of thing before and BTw/OR certainly don't seem to own up to these things until put under pressure  Roll_eyes

Thanks AO, I'm glad we seem to be on to something with this. I just need to follow the thread back now and see if we can get something changed in order to resolve the issue. I'm guessing that it won't be so straight forward given this is at the parent exchange but I'm happy to see what we can do as it will be a new tool in the box if we can!
Quote from: Townman
Hi Adam,
Interesting revelation - you rather suggest that BTOR are only able to provide ISPs exchange congestion data in a massive spreadsheet which you have to explore manually?  Further the ISP has to deduce / navigate the exchange hierarchy to determine if there is "up stream" congestion?  You then have to wait a period for a new spreadsheet to know if the problem is still present?
How diabolically stupid!  Angry

Agreed, this is a bind to navigate Shocked The worst part of this is that all the data you need is actually contained across two of these sheets and each one has to be searched using different details and then matched up which quickly becomes a headache!
+1 for getting a better solution for this however I'm not sure that this will ever be offered, from what I can see, the faults diagnostics and even engineer visits don't see this information which in my eyes is a serious hole in the fault finding/resolution process.
Quote from: AndyH
@ Adam C - What has happened with Plusnet's own monitoring (i.e. http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/)? Have you checked Plusnet's traffic management monitoring for other users on that exchange/SVLAN to see if they are seeing a degraded service?
In the past, Plusnet (and other ISPs like AAISP/Zen) have picked up congestion a lot quicker than BTW from their own monitoring. I think it's a lot better to use your own monitoring platform to see if users are still affected and then report back to BTW.

Indeed we should ideally have some automated monitoring in place however that would requite a heck of a lot of work to design, build and possibly maintain. The reason that the current checker is out of date is due to the change in the format we used to get these reports in. As mentioned above, we now have two sheets which are manually retrieved and updating the system to do this would seem like a substantial piece of work considering the differences in sheets and marrying the data up  Sad
The new sheets containing all the data is now available so I'll continue my more up to date wading and be back to this thread as soon as I've got the end result!
@LenAsh - Apologies for the delay
avatastic
Grafter

Quote from: Adam
Indeed we should ideally have some automated monitoring in place however that would requite a heck of a lot of work to design, build and possibly maintain.

Or about 30 minutes in perl. Are these spreadsheets ISP eyes only or are they available to Joe Q Public? (I may as well do something productive with my lunch break for once!  ;D)
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)