cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT speedtester very low results

daskinner
Grafter

BT speedtester very low results

Hi, can you please check my line as i've just ran a BT speedtest to see if my IP had increased due to my sync speed increasing on Sunday i was expecting it to be 5MB and the speed result seems very low.. 667Kbps!
Download speedachieved during the test was - 667 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600 Kbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5.98 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 4.5 Mbps
Any ideas?  I ran a test from speedtest.net and it was a little better but not great.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1802581639.png
I cant run another BT test as it's too soon.
I guess by the time PN staff look at this I'll be in work tomorrow but I can access the router from work if needed?
I've attached my router stats.

11 REPLIES 11
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: BT speedtester very low results

Hi daskinner,
I've just ran some checks on the line and there's nothing obvious that I would say causing that. Is it a wired or wireless result? If it's wired have a look here for some tips and click on the link that says, 'download speed too slow'
Jojo Smiley
daskinner
Grafter

Hi Jojo, the tests were done via ethernet. I have had a look at the link you posted my pc's av is upto date and not picking anyhing up one the scan. No problems at the exchange. Ive read a few posts about the bt speed tester and it sounds like that could be the problem? But saying the my other speed tests were a little low. Im connected via wifi agin now.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

In that case I'd get a fault raised so we can get the ball rolling on getting it fixed Smiley
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Interesting as I had very low down speeds between 5 and 6.30 this evening: ~1600-1800 on a 7.3 profile. Now all is OK. Not BT but My Broadband was the tester, How's your speed now? Mine's OK.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
daskinner
Grafter

Hi, I did a test this monring but over wifi and not on the BT speed site and it seems ok I think it was 4.15MB
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi daskinner,
That's good news, though I'd recommend keeping an eye on it and raising a fault as Jojo suggests if it does slow down again. Nevertheless I hope it stays that way for you (or gets even better) Smiley
daskinner
Grafter

Thanks Matt, I'll check it again tonight when I get home.
Have a good day.
daskinner
Grafter

Matt, while I’m thinking about it rather than working which is what I should be doing, are you able to check the SNR on my line as everytime I look at my router details is showing 8.8DB does this seem a little high and my sync speed never changes unless the router is switched on and off.. I'm not sure if this is normal or not and I'm reading too much into it
Just done another BT test.
Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.23 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600 Kbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5.98 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5 Mbps
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi daskinner,
TBH I don't think that's too high for your line, an SNR reset may bring it down slightly but I'd be worried about that causing an issue with instability so you may be best sticking with things as they are.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
daskinner
Grafter

Ok thanks Adam, I've raised another thread as I think my exchange just got 21CN..
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Check my reply to your other thread Smiley
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team