Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT speed tester.... what use is it?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

BT speed tester.... what use is it?

I have done the BT speedtest three or four times in the last 24 hours....
Apart from the rediculously long time it takes for the main page to load, before even starting the test.... (up to 6 minutes) after a re-start because of "not responding" for 10 minutes.
When you get a result like this....

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
                                   824 Kbps

0 Kbps------------------------------------------------ 2000 Kbps
                                                                              .Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 824 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :0 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1250 Kbps

When using other speed testers, immediately after give the following information....
********************************************************************************************************************************
www.speed.io
Downstream  1170    Upstream 372     Connections/minute = 1600    ping   46 ms          (equivalent to 1300kbps) or 1.3 meg
**********************************************************************************************************************************
My broadband speed
Downstream 1180  Upstream 367
*********************************************************************************************************************************
www.speedtest.net
Downstream   1160  Upstream  380   ping 48 ms
********************************************************************************************************************************
So according to our "most important" speed test.... and the only one that PlusNet and BT consider "good enough" for fault tracing.....
I have actually achieved the impossible,  I have attained a speed of 824 k on a line that has NO traffic Downstream and NO traffic Upstream.... BT speed tester reports that is the "Best Effort"..... well, I don`t really know which way to take that ...
Any comment from our  PlusNet staff on why BT (and of course Plusnet)  use such a useless piece of software to convince us we are getting their "best effort" ? ? ?

11 REPLIES 11
shutter
Community Veteran

Re: BT speed tester.... what use is it?

Any comment from our  PlusNet staff on why BT (and of course Plusnet)  use such a useless piece of software to convince us we are getting their "best effort" ? ? ?

Obviously not  Sad
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi shutter,
There are some known issues with the BT speedtester, I'll make sure you are kept informed BT's progress with regards to a fix.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
shutter
Community Veteran

Yay !.... I wonder how long it will take for them to do a FIX so that it doesn`t take so long to load up the page, and also that it compares better with the other speedtesters...
I seem to remember there has been "issues" with it, for the past 3 years , since I first got onto PlusNet, and had to use the BT speedtester... it has always been a bit of "chance your arm" if it worked properly... and not a very good "advert" for BT technical/software department.....
I suppose BT need your phone number to "tie in" with their faulty line department.... but it makes you wonder when other speed test providers do not require your phone number before starting a test... why does BT ? 
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

but it makes you wonder when other speed test providers do not require your phone number before starting a test... why does BT ? 

That's because other speedtesters don't allow the support staff to grab the results, nor do they give the IP profile or current connection rates. Smiley
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
shutter
Community Veteran

But ... there again.... BT does not provide "ping" times.... nor does the "mybroadband" ..... most other speed testes do provide ping times. and also show the "throughput" figure.... altogether the "rival" speedtesters give the customer a much better User Interface.... and quicker service from start to finish...
. BT could learn a lot from them.... (and still need the phone number if they want to ! ! ! ! )
shutter
Community Veteran

OK... Here we are again.... done my 3 days waiting for BT to upgrade my profile from 1250, to the next level,... and then I do another BT speed test with the same USELESS result....
How they manage to "fault find" with such a rubbish piece of software beggars belief....You would think that they would FIX things like this..... (wouldn`t you? ? ?)

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
783 Kbps

0 Kbps__________________________________ 2000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 783 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate [font=Verdana][font=Verdana]:0 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0 Kbps(UP-STREAM)

IP Profile for your line is - 1250 Kbps

My routerstats show a virtual flat line since 1200 (when I started to use it)... a sych rate of 1760  and an SNR of 5.8 (now 5.5) NO spikes.... NO  disconnections.... NO interference...
from that you would expect.... NO EXCUSES from BT for such a lousy speed...
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

shutter,
I've just been discussing your slow speed issue with Chris, I can see you've raised a fault so we need to let the CSC and fault teams do their stuff for the time being. Please do give me a shout if you encounter any problems getting this dealt with.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
shutter
Community Veteran

Thanks Adam...
Will go and update the ticket with this morinings speed test results, to compare with BT pathetic speed tester result...!  Undecided
EDIT EDIT EDIT
just done another BT speedtester...... took over 9 minutes to get to the actual test from the initial start page.. (waiting for the logo to appear)..... Undecided
throghput speed    1250
BEST EFFORT (ha ha ha)
actual speed ......... 924k
max speed 2000 k  (ha ha ha)
DSL Downstream... ZERO  upstream ZERO  (boo hoo  boo hoo boo hoo)...
your profile is 1250.... (correction .... your profile is absolutely anyones guess, cos the BT speedtester isn`t reliable  or working properly)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Shutter,
To avoid unnecessary frustrations I would advise leaving the BT speedtester alone until we know for definite that it's doing what it should be Smiley
Adam
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
shutter
Community Veteran

Thank you, Adam, for those words of encouragement ! ! ! ......
at least PlusNet are now admitting the BT speedtester is a load of CATFISH  Cheesy
and possibly have advised BT to do something about it P.D.Q.  Wink
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

But catfish are awesome creatures!
The BT tester is very useful for us when it's working, rest assured we are pushing for a fix.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team