cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT speed checker 'manipulated' for better results?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Re: Slow and getting slower.

Indeed the router stats monitoring program does not work with the 2704n router. That's an issue with the program provided by a third party. You've been asked for information readily available without router stats.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

woober
Grafter

Sorry, have looked back through the thread and missed this one, is this of any help?

2704n stats.PNG

woober
Grafter

And this........

Plusnet UP.PNG

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Thank you for all of the information provided. Something is a bit amiss here. The line is performing below what might be expected for a line of 63dB attenuation.

@Gandalf - is there any thing amiss with the line stats / history please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

63.5 / 31.5 are the maximum attenuation values typically displayed on a line using ADSL1. The actual attenuation could be significantly greater.

Unfortunately there's the chance that this line is on the type of exchange equipment that does ADSL2+ poorly on long lines, so there's the risk that changing it from ADSL1 to ADSL2+ might make it worse.

I'm not really sure why it was concluded that it "will most likely be a poorly performing fibre service" - with the estimated range of 40-60Mb, even at the low end of the estimate FTTC would still be substantially better, whereas a 1Mb connection is probably not enough to comfortably browse modern web sites and the slightest thing trying to update itself in the background is going to take up the bandwidth for a long time.

woober
Grafter

In reply to above, the problem is not the 1Mb ADSL predicted speeds, the problem is the inconsistency of the speeds. My connection is 'acceptable' for what I use it for out of peak hours but drops as low as 0.08Mb in rush hour. That is NOT acceptable.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@crt,

Are there any issues with back haul capacity from this user's exchange?

woober
Grafter

Lack of interest from Gandalf and crt?

Got some time off work, so trying the internet at less busy times and unhappily it's little different. Just clicked on the second page of this discussion and it took a full 29 seconds to fully open. Shamefull really.

woober
Grafter

Thanks for all your help...............NOT.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf - two weeks with no touch - has this topic dropped off the monitoring system?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to see we've not followed up here.

Are there any issues with back haul capacity from this user's exchange?

I've checked the latest VP report from BTwholesale and we can see that the SVLAN your circuit is connected to at the exchange is below threshold which indicates that there are no reported overutilisation or congestion issues.

When your speed is particularly poor, can you run a speedtest at http://speedtest.btwholesale.com using a wired connection.

Please ensure that no other devices are connected to the router, and there are no open background tasks on the PC you're using. Once you have the result, please complete the further diagnostics. This will store the result on the supplier system.

Thanks,

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
woober
Grafter

General surfing, emails etc is acceptable now, managed to improve things myself without the support of this 'community'.

All I did was to get rid of the 2704n router supplied by PN, speeds still slow down at busy times but not to a point where Chrome thinks the connection has dropped.

I will do the speed test, but doubt it will show any issues, I believe they were all down to the router.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Happy to hear you've almost managed to sort this out.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet