Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT speed checker U/S for several days

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: BT speed checker U/S for several days

People have tried service IDs to no avail.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
caulbox
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Another possibility I've been musing over is whether the fact that I manually configured my service configuration when I first set up the Thomson gateway might have potential to cause any problems. It's a long time ago now, and I can't recall exactly why I chose to do so, but I did research options prior to setting up the gateway, and I think there was a very slight variation from the automatic configuration which was preferable for me.  
Service Configuration
This section contains information regarding the service configuration currently applying to your Thomson Gateway.  

Service Name: Plusnet (modified by user)  
Description: Plusnet configuration for Plusnet customers
Region: UK  
Provider: Plusnet
Configuration Date: Configuration modified manually
Edit:
I also came to Plusnet Value from F9, and still retain my F9 email address and web space.
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: artmo
.... you lived in Sheffield
Well it's in commuting distance. Less pedantry please. Grin
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Romandy
Dabbler

I'm getting the same errors as everyone else. Tried 4 times throughout today to run a speed test and all come back with an error.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You need to give the information Bob has asked for:
Quote from: Bob
If people continue to encounter actual errors (rather than discrepancies with the results) then do continue to post providing as much of the information below as possible:
Operating system: e.g. Windows/Linux version
Web browser/Version in use: e.g. Firefox 4.0b11
Antivirus/Security software in use: e.g. Avira AntiVir Personal 10.0.0.611
Router make/model and whether wired/wireless: e.g. BT Voyager 2110 wired
Java version: Obtainable from here
Error message/Description of problem: Try to be descript
Time and date the error was encountered: Quite important this one so we can identify what happened and why

The only other bit of info I need are your telephone numbers/unique circuit identifiers, however don't worry about those as I can pull them from our systems.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mfiles
Grafter

I've been trying for the last three days without result - so I thought I would give it another try - maybe a fluke, but it worked..... Shocked
Just remembered to add the details
Op System - Windows 7
Browser - Google Chrome 10.0.648.11
AV -  Microsoft Security Essentials  (I've tried most of the free Avs and this is by far the best - it doesn't have all the bells and whistle reports/screens etc, but you don't notice it running at all and I appear to be Virus free - I Hope !)
Router - Linksys WAG120N wireless
Java version 6 update 24
No errors tonight But for the last three days Mid to late evening - it just said "an error occured..^ sorry can't remember the rest Smiley

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@linux @caulbox, I've had BT look into the examples of yours I provided them with. They've ascertained that one of you has run the test 18 times (guessing caulbox) and not succeeded at all, whilst the other (linux) had tried plentiful times with only a single success.
They've attributed it to another known issue that affects a subset of users. I could provide the technical details but there's little point to be honest. All you really need to know is that it's absolutely nothing to do with your equipment or set up and is something they're working towards fixing. No ETA at present but somebody will let me know once the issue's resolved.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

caulbox
Rising Star

Thanks for the update.
Yeah 18 times without success seems about right for me.
linux
Grafter

Thanks for the update Bob. It's a relief to know that it has nothing to do with us. I am intrigued as to what the problem was.
As for trying plentiful times with only a single success, I presume that single success was on 5th February at 12:47, the last time I know it worked for me. I don't recall it working after that, though perhaps it did soon afterwards and I didn't save the result.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Mine is now working OK, both down and upstream tests completed successfully at around 6pm on 02/03/11.  Smiley
caulbox
Rising Star

Bob - can I also ask whether you might have changed my Thomson Gateway config as a consequence of a possible (time related?) glitch the detail I posted earlier? Whilst checking my DSL connection stuff a few minutes ago, I noticed  that my router's event log seems to have been totally cleared. My Thomson Gateway configuration details have also now changed so as to read:
Service Configuration
This section contains information regarding the service configuration currently applying to your Thomson Gateway.

Service Name: Plusnet (modified by user)
Time Configuration   

Time Source: Automatic 
Date: 03-03-2011 
Time: 09:13:56 
Timezone: (UTC) GMT: Dublin, Edinburgh, London 
Summer Time: No 
Time Since Power-on: 14 days, 14:06:01 
Time Server 1: ntp.plus.net 
System Configuration

Web Browsing Interception: Automatic

Thanks.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: caulbox
Bob - can I also ask whether you might have changed my Thomson Gateway config as a consequence of a possible (time related?) glitch the detail I posted earlier?

Nope, nothing to do with me I'm afraid.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Another test failure at 10:35.
Looks like it's just me left Cry
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
caulbox
Rising Star

Quote from: Bob
Nope, nothing to do with me I'm afraid.

Ah, In that case I'm guessing that I might have triggered the change myself 'in some strange way'. What I did do last night was to browse further to (at least I thought) only 'look at' the options presented when I clicked on deeper links within the gateway config page. For example the Pick a task - Set Up link took me to a Thomson Gateway Easy Setup Wizard pop up window (which I immediately closed, doing nothing). I also 'just looked' at the "configure" link at the top of the page, as well as 'just looking at' options then presented in the drop-lists. On no occasion did I click to "Apply" any changes, but I'm guessing that some change must have occurred as a consequence of my browsing behaviour anyway?
That was last night however, and what I do did find a bit strange is that my Event Log was totally cleared when I re-visited at 9.00 a.m. this morning. But I've now just repeated a similar browsing pattern (to assist in posting these comments) and lo and behold my event log which was reporting no events (in all categories) has now re-discovered itself, and all recorded events have become visible again! (no events recorded about any config changes though)
Curiouser and curiouser!
edgeways
Grafter

Quote from: Strat
Another test failure at 10:35.
Looks like it's just me left Cry

No. You are not alone Strat.
Still not working here, latest test failure five minutes ago.  Sad