Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT sends threatening letter alleging copyright infringement

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: BT sends threatening letter alleging copyright infringement

Quote from: Ian
In short I'd say that we have adopted certain BT ways of doing things, our network security standards for example, but for most things BT really do give us independence. Like any owner they expect certain results to be delivered, but the decisions we make that lead to those results being achieved are entirely our call.

I'd be very concerned if PlusNet had adopted BT's network security standards.
They've been found guilty of spying on their customers traffic (refer to the thread on Phorm for details).
I prefer my network security to be a little more secure!

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

gswindale
Grafter

I'm not sure that's a "network security" issue is it?  I'd have assumed that by "network security", they'd have been referring to blocking virii etc rather than tailoring the adverts I see.
hootiegibbon
Grafter

This is one of those topics i have been keeping an eye on.
There are a few factors that have to be taken into account.
First the BPI are the official body (in the UK) for the protection of the copyright holders of music (like FACT is for film)
That it has been long rumored that there are 'honey trapped' files on the peer to peer networks that have a digital watermark noting them as coming from an 'unofficial source' (ie breaking the copy right)
That (in answer to puddy) the signee of the contract of a telecommunications contract (including broadband) has a legal responsibility for the traffic that passes into and out of the there connection (this is why you do not leave your router unencrypted and open - because if someone steals your bandwidth from your network then you are responsible for that traffic - or the onus is on you to prove otherwise)
I suspect that the BPI are now tracing down the 'honey trapped'; files and are taking an appropriate action against the legally responsible person for that ip, after all copyright theft is a crime.......
The solution is not to illegally download copyright  music or film, or be prepared for the consequences if you do.
Regards
Jase

puddy
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre

That looks like an admission of guilty conduct -  I have absolutely no sympathy

You wrote "admission of guilty Conduct"  I am getting a bit fed of your remarks to my postings.
For the record I have never down loaded or up load music files on my plusnet account
Puddy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

for the record Puddy.  I was not the only person to draw that conclusion.  and if you dont download, why are you worried
Also I did not fully quote you are put your name to the quote
chillypenguin
Grafter

Mod:note
Ok, Gentlemen, this is getting unfriendly. So I am bring it to an end in this thread.