Dabbler

Re: BT seizure while transferring to Plusnet

Quote from: Oldjim
https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/contact/
Then select Contact Customer Services
Then Broadband
Then My question isn't listed
Chat is available from 9.00am to 9.00pm

Ok, I have contacted Plusnet and they can not help as they will be providing the broadband only on the 08-10-15.
The line is still rented from BT by myself, this has been prepaid for 12 months.
Plusnet informed me I will have to wait out the 12 months or lose out the money as the payment is not transferable between BT and Plusnet.
This is understandable and my problem is with BT.
BT has left me in limbo with 0.2MB connection speed, they will not send an enginner to repair the fault they have admitted is on the line.
BT Retail have contacted me and said they can not do anything as my line is siezed, due to swapping to Plusnet with my broadband.
My current modem status is as below,
Modem Status
Connection Status Connected
Us Rate (Kbps) 368
Ds Rate (Kbps) 284
US Margin 6
DS Margin 15
Trained Modulation ADSL_2plus
LOS Errors 2
DS Line Attenuation 49
US Line Attenuation 48
Peak Cell Rate 867 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast 117
CRC Tx Fast 0
CRC Rx Interleaved 0
CRC Tx Interleaved 0
Path Mode Interleaved
DSL Statistics
Near End F4 Loop Back Count 0
Near End F5 Loop Back Count 0

I seem to be left in limbo with no way to move forward, are there any suggestion on how I can move forward?
trerank
Dabbler

Quote from: Mook
Isn’t the problem here down to the fact that you have said the line is Broadband only?
So by moving your Broadband logic says you no longer need the line so it was ceased. However if the line provided a telephone service then the line should remain active until your 12 months expire.

The line is rented from BT by myself.
The broadband service is to continue with BT until it is swapped over on the 08-10-15 to Plusnet.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I fully understand this. But is the line an offering from BT that is only for Broadband; i.e. no incoming / outgoing calls on it? If this is the case then I can see the logic in ceasing the line when the broadband service provided on it migrates to BT, after all the line's sole purpose was to provide broadband and when that goes...
However, that still doesn't explain why BT are unwilling to fix this line, after all you're still in contract with them up until the 8th of Oct, something you should maybe remind them of. So in my book they should be willing to fix the errors that they know exist. The cynical side of me however thinks that if enough time passes then it will become Plusnet's problem. But of course the fly in the ointment there is that the same line will be getting used by Plusnet.
trerank
Dabbler

Quote from: cedlor
Ok maybe its not  really plusnets problem but they should still be able to advise you what to do.
If you have received a  user name and password that will obviously help.
When you joined up they would have done a line test - right?  So what do you think is the fault with your broadband/line
Was it faulty when you decided to move?
Is it really  a fault or do you just mean it has stopped because the line has been ceased.
( I also thought it should be ceased not  seized but looked on the internet and there are other cases of it saying "seized"  with no one correcting it
so assumed it was a term being used for when a line is taken over.)

BT call center told me on the phone the line had a fault.
I had changed the router and filters and eliminated faults on the home internal wiring by plugging direct into the BT test socket.
I created a problem for myself when I would not agree to pay £129.99 for an engineer.
I told them the line was rented from them by myself and they need to provide a line fit for purpose.
If the engineer could not find a fault with their system they should inform me and I would investigate further.
They did not like this and tried to stonewall me.
After numerous calls to BT they agreed to send an engineer to check the line without me having to agree to pay £129.99. Things are looking up....
10 minutes later BT phoned to inform me they have changed there minds and will not be sending an engineer as I am transferring my broadband to Plusnet.
What I do not understand is the line is still rented from BT by myself and paid for 12 months in advance.
BT last call informed me they can no longer help.
Not sure of the next step.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I think there's a fair degree of confusion here.  what is the actual fault that you have?  Is it just the speed issue or is there noise on the line?
If you have reported a broadband fault to BT then it is quite possible that they won't fix it as there is a migration booked.  It will be up to PN to resolve the fault once the service is transferred over.  
If you have reported a voice fault the BT should fix it, irrespective of who your broadband is with.
trerank
Dabbler

Quote from: Mook
Yes, I fully understand this. But is the line an offering from BT that is only for Broadband; i.e. no incoming / outgoing calls on it? If this is the case then I can see the logic in ceasing the line when the broadband service provided on it migrates to BT, after all the line's sole purpose was to provide broadband and when that goes...
However, that still doesn't explain why BT are unwilling to fix this line, after all you're still in contract with them up until the 8th of Oct, something you should maybe remind them of. So in my book they should be willing to fix the errors that they know exist. The cynical side of me however thinks that if enough time passes then it will become Plusnet's problem. But of course the fly in the ointment there is that the same line will be getting used by Plusnet.

The BT line used to be setup for phone and broadband, due to partner and myself using mobiles we do not use a landline phone or even have one plugged in.
I will check if my BT service is broadband and phone or broadband only.
Are you thinking they may have reverted the line to non data capabilities, would this still allow broadband but at a slow speed?
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

BT Retail do not offer 'broadband only' lines - Mook is confusing matters even more  Sad
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: trerank
After numerous calls to BT they agreed to send an engineer to check the line without me having to agree to pay £129.99. Things are looking up....
10 minutes later BT phoned to inform me they have changed there minds and will not be sending an engineer as I am transferring my broadband to Plusnet.

That has nothing to do with it as you are well aware, as are they. I'd be inclined to call them back and tell them this and remind them that the same line will be used by Plusnet so the fault will still need rectifying and they are only delaying the inevitable.
@pwaston Why shouldn't BT fix his BB fault the fact that he is moving is moot, after all they are contractually obliged to fix it, unless it's in their T&Cs that they won't fix issues raised X days before a service migration.
No BB service = no BB at no speed.
No Mook isn't confusing the matter even more read the OP's posts.
trerank
Dabbler

Quote from: pwatson
I think there's a fair degree of confusion here.  what is the actual fault that you have?  Is it just the speed issue or is there noise on the line?
If you have reported a broadband fault to BT then it is quite possible that they won't fix it is there is a migration booked.  It will be up to PN to resolve the fault once the service is transferred over.  
If you have reported a voice fault the BT should fix it, irrespective of who your broadband is with.

I think you have the answer.
The fault is the slow speed drop from 17MB to 0.2MB.
BT call center used the words fault on the line.
I believe I will have to live with this until 08-10-15 when the Plusnet broadband is activated.
I will then have to deal with the problem again through Plusnet or BT or maybe Plusnet or is it BT mmm... not sure lol
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think what you are being told bt BT might well be correct, but not explained well - it's probably because "the computer says no" and not because BT are unwilling to fix the fault. The "computer says no" hurdle will be because the BT systems allow only one order to be in progress at a time, and the order to migrate broadband to Plusnet counts as that order. The "one order" restriction applies across both phone and broadband so even if the fault is line/phone related the broadband migration will prevent a fault being logged.
Sadly this does mean you are stuck until migration completes. Sad
However you could try something positive in the mean time. That is to get hold of a corded phone so you can check the line. You could find you have no dial tone because one of the two wires is disconnected. Alternatively crackle might be so bad that making audible calls would be impossible. These are line faults so in either case it would be BT's responsibility to fix once the migration order completes.
The broadband speed is probably so low because DLM has banded your broadband service to try to make it work.
David
David
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

There is no reason why BT should not fix the fault, I suggest the issue my be getting confused by language barriers. So I have a few suggestions:
cedlor
Grafter

Quote from: Mustrum
. So I have a few suggestions:

Excellent  something to follow  :  would be good
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Sorry, not sure what happened, I got distracted!
Anyways:
1. Get hold of a phone and test the line, to work out if it is just a broadband problem or line problem which also impacts your broadband.
2. BT's standard procedure/process is to say they will charge £129 if the fault is on your side of the wiring - its pointless saying you don't agree to it, it then just gives them an excuse not to send an engineer. Make sure you test the line as above.
3, There is little point waiting until the 8th when PlusNet take over the line, they will just have to start again.
4. You need to look at the emails BT have sent you, and confirm when they have ceased your broadband, it should not be until the 8th of October, if so they are still responsible for providing your service and they should fix it.
HTH
oliverb
Grafter

FWIW did the customer ask to end their BT broadband service instead of migrating it? If so that might explain what happened?
It would be an easy enough mistake and would trigger a broadband "Cease".
Presumably Plusnet would then have to treat it as a new service not a transfer?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

The point being missed / not clearly explained here is that the issue is not so much who does or does not provide the service, now or in the future.  It all boils down to the barking mad restrictions by BTOR by which there can be only one open order on a line at a time.  It matters not if that order is for phone, broadband provision, cease or repair of services.
It is not dissimilar to the problems of taking over a line which the previous subscriber has ceased; until the existing order completes a further order cannot be placed on the line.
Rather than being told that a fault report cannot be raised because you are transferring to PlusNET, you should have been told that a second order (which is how faults are treated) cannot be raised on your line until that order is completed (or cancelled).
To be fair this issue has nothing to do with your phone line or broadband providers (beyond poor communication) rather it has everything to do with BTOR's single order limitation.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.