Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT's free upgrade to 21CN. PlusNet?

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Re: BT's free upgrade to 21CN. PlusNet?

Quote from: Crucibleofevil
Since 21CN is cheaper than MAX for the ISP, this free transfer isn't so surprising is it?

I didn't realise that! What's the reason (without going into very technical detail!)?
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
godsell4
Rising Star

Quote from: Crucibleofevil
21CN is cheaper than MAX for the ISP, this free transfer isn't so surprising is it?

YOU may know that. 99% of people walking down your nearest high street do not know that. So they will be thinking hey I am getting the upgrade for no extra cost. The fact it maybe costing the ISP less is not known to them ... and it baits the customer into staying for 12 months!
What happens if the customer say's no I do not want this upgrade thank you?
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
godsell4
Rising Star

And Moggies did not know that either ...
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Quote from: mal0z
Given the problems a fair percentage of the people on the trial - I've kept away - even thought the office account seems to be able to get it.
I think this is a case of waiting for BT to get it all sorted out 99% before leaping on board  Smiley

Yes, remembering the teething problems some people had with ADSL Max, I was thinking that myself (though I've not had any major problems with ADSL2+, just glitches regarding SNR going sky high which seem sorted now).
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

I'm with you there mal0z. Judging by some of the posts on here BT do seem to be making a bit of a pigs ear of ADSL2+. The DLM seems to be trying to be far too clever for its own good!
The LLU providers seem to take a much simpler approach. When our office line was upgraded ( Demon C & W LLU ) it initially tried synching at 23Mpbs with a 6db target ( at 4am ) , held it for about 3 hours.  The errors increased and it resynched again with a 9db target at about 22.5 Mbps. The SNR dropped overnight to about 7db and the errors increased so the next day we manually resynched at about 4pm got 22Mbps at 9db SNR and its been like that for about 2 months now. Simple isnt it...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hevey
Grafter

Re. the free for new BT customers thing.  By coincidence, BT snailmailed me a personalised flyer saying they had taken the liberty of testing my line and that I could expect 9mbps.  No mention of setup charges and a rate of £15.something a month, plus a gratis BT home hub.  That sounds more or less what they used to charge for ordinary ADSL
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

BT's pricing structure is extremely obscure - but http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2009/05/01/uk-broadband-isp-aaisp-blogs-bt-21cn-upgrade-problems-an...
is worth a read.
I believe AAISP are contemplating using some LLU lines because they're fed up with 21CN problems?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."