cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT is really frustrating me now!

sumitgood
Grafter

BT is really frustrating me now!

So for the last week my connection dropped to 4500 from 6000, then to 750... then plus.net manually changed that to 4000 last night? And that worked fine until about 8pm tonight.
When it suddenly has now became:

ADSL Speed (DS/US) 480/448 Kbps
So without even a disconnection my internet starts going at half a mbit, so I reboot my router and new 'stats' come in saying 480/448 Kbps ...
OH GREAT!!!
For 4 whole bloody years my line has never had these stupid problems and always sync'd and downloaded at 7mbit+ and now i'm getting a constant drop of my IP profile to stupidly low rates.
What do I do ?
Please help.
23 REPLIES 23
leeanthony
Grafter

Re: BT is really frustrating me now!

Im hearing alot of people have problems with there internet lately, my guess is it all has something to do with the 24meg starting to go live in places and screwing alot of people up
sumitgood
Grafter

The solution to my problem is amazing...
Get this, so I've always had my internet connected at my living room for 4 years.. and got blisteringly fast 7mbit download rates, so if it aint broke don't fix right?
So I rang plus.net and they told me to put the router in my master socket behind the panel on the socket, which cuts off all the other telephone lines around the house.. now of course I wasn't expecting any big changes because the problem seems to be intermittent and not my end...
However doing so the router connected instantly to the internet, and in which the plus.net support team on the phone replied your conection is now syncing at  7904 up /448 down Kbps
So what the hell?? all this time this whole last week my line in my living room is chocking the stability of my internet connection resulting in lower IP Profiles?Huh
Anyway I'm expecting 7904 Kbps down soon as my ip profile updates!!!
Fingers Crossed!
Current Status:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 294 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7904 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 350 Kbps
scootie
Grafter

So I rang plus.net and they told me to put the router in my master socket behind the panel on the socket, which cuts off all the other telephone lines around the house.. now of course I wasn't expecting any big changes because the problem seems to be intermittent and not my end...

standard course of action that if you have phone extension running of the master, even if your router isnt on the end of the extension but pluged into the master socket, if the extensions are still connected to the master socket they can still cause sync problems.
paulby
Grafter

@sumitgood
If you're going to leave your router permanently in your master socket you may want to consider fitting one of these filtered faceplates.
That way your line is filtered at the master and you don't need microfilters in any extension sockets (the ADSL Nation filter is also very good - generally much better than those supplied with routers).  Bear in miind that you will only be able to get ADSL at the master (or on a dedicated extension using the terminals on the rear of the faceplate) if you fit one of these.
sumitgood
Grafter

Thanks Paul

Plus.net told me that BT Exchange increased it from 250 Kbps to 350 Kbps at 5am on 10/28/2009 ?? EHHHH
Galdere
Grafter

I've been having the same problem since Saturday.
Master socket makes no difference, there have been no changes etc.
PlusNet haven't done anything yet.
James
Grafter

Galdere,
I've read your comments on your ticket, and seen that you don't feel that it is a dropping connection problem.
Can you confirm that you rebooted your router at 22:01 yesterday, 06:19 & 06:42 today?
sumitgood
Grafter

Jamesh:
My Router has not rebooted or disconnected:
Online Time   1 days 14 hours 1 mins 32 secs
The router is in the master socket behind the faceplate (extensions) and no longer in any other socket of the house.
It's status information is :
ADSL Speed (DS/US) 7904/448 Kbps
Line Mode G.dmt   Line State Show Time
Latency Type Fast   Line Up Time 01:14:03:33
Line Coding Trellis On   Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 7904 448
Noise Margin 11.4 dB 27.0 dB
Line Attenuation 7.0 dB 5.0 dB
Output Power 12.1 dBm 13.8 dBm

HOWEVER despite all of this, my ip profile is 350kbps not 7000+.

James
Grafter

@sumitgood
Sorry - I wasn't talking to you Smiley
However, your profile should pick up soon enough.  Once it is, things should be a lot better.
sumitgood
Grafter

@jamesh
yeah i was aware  you wernt speaking to me , but I thought id answer it for myself by  adding a little more information to the topic that my line is actually over a day stable so why DLM hasn't picked that up is frigging immensely annoying.
I would like some one to push it to BT to enable them to manualy change it to 7904.. so that I can enjoy my internet
Because right now :
I can't enjoy my broadband the way it was meant to be enjoyed!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

no good having a go at us, BT take up to three days to do the initial move and can take ten days, and no one can change that
Galdere
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Galdere,
I've read your comments on your ticket, and seen that you don't feel that it is a dropping connection problem.
Can you confirm that you rebooted your router at 22:01 yesterday, 06:19 & 06:42 today?

I did in the morning to get my upload speed back, but not in the evening.
It did cut out twice last night, but it has not done that since Saturday morning, when it happened maybe as much as four times in a short space of time.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Galdere,
The last profile update we had was from Saturday, to 2000kbps. It therefore looks like the drops in connection are what's affecting the speed of the line (though it will be compounded by the network issues going on currently these will not affect your profile rate nor cause the connection to drop). Given that these are updated around 5 times a day it looks like the drop at 22:01 last night hasn't caused any change.
I can't see how anything else other than the occasional drops are causing the lowering profiles I'm afraid.
Galdere
Grafter

Hi Orbrey,
The drop last night caused an upload connect reduction to 96kbps.
One drop has never caused that before Saturday.
The Saturday drops gave me a fraction of upload speed also and halved my download. It was a matter of waiting a couple of hours and reconnecting for gradual upload increases.
My download speed has not returned, I doubt that it is going to return to what it should do by waiting, and when it dropped last night it lowered yet again.
I regained some download connect speed by reconnecting in the morning, but the actual speed is reducing.
If it is just drops then what has suddenly caused them with no changes? How can it totally ruin my upload speed with one drop, but then that returns again?
How am I going to get back to 3500-4200 connect, 3300 actual speeds?
Thanks