cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT have fixed my line - why do I have to wait 10 days for my speed to improve?

TBSteve
Grafter

Re: BT have fixed my line - why do I have to wait 10 days for my speed to improve?

Quote from: WWWombat
For ADSL, Openreach supply the copper (to BTW), and BTW supply the DSL and backhaul t get back to PN. In FTTC, Openreach supply the copper, the whole DSL component, and the data pathway from fibre back to exchange, while BTW only provide the backhaul through the core network.

That's enough to make my head hurt.
Online since 1985

You must have great patience Smiley
TBSteve
Grafter

Re: BT have fixed my line - why do I have to wait 10 days for my speed to improve?

Speeds are finally back to what they were before the dodgy line.
So it took 10-11 days for the download speeds to recover, and around 25 days for upload to recover.
It just seems mad that the DLM is not faster than that.
WWWombat
Grafter

It is good that they improve - but not so good that they are so slow.
Funnily, I read a report dated 2005, where BT researchers (probably serious tech research, based at Marlesham Heath) asked whether the "profile" system was now getting in the way of DSL speeds... and it has taken another 6 years for the profile system to change. Granted they meant the whole speed/interleaving combinations, and not just the 88.2% stuff, but it still shows how long it takes for ideas to propagate from the "thinking side" through to the "doing side".
The one upside of BT is that they are big enough to bring broadband to "the masses". The downside of being that big is that they feel they need to be *really* sure of any changes,and the effect on the whole of "the masses"
Still, this is the first time Ithink I've encountered a time when the upstream speed took time to recover... which is interesting that it shows it is now significant enough that it warrants it's own recovery timescales.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.