cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT have fixed my line - why do I have to wait 10 days for my speed to improve?

TBSteve
Grafter

BT have fixed my line - why do I have to wait 10 days for my speed to improve?

BT replaced my phone line yesterday, as it was totally rubbish.
Now my profile is capped - how can clear this?
I raised a ticket and have been told that I have to wait 10-15 days for it to improve.  Cry
Is there no way to speed this process up? To reset it like new?
I'm on FTTC, and my upload speed is around 0.6Mb/s, download is 18Mb/s which is ok - not the 25+Mb/s I was getting.
Please help me, once you get uses to 8Mb/s upload you don't want to go back
32 REPLIES 32
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: BT have fixed my line - why do I have to wait 10 days for my speed to improve?

Hi TBSteve,
Unfortunately we don't have the ability to request a profile reset on FTTC lines, otherwise we would do. Sorry about that.
TBSteve
Grafter

Re: BT have fixed my line - why do I have to wait 10 days for my speed to improve?

How can PlusNet sell FTTC products if they have no means to provide any support?
Is there anything I can do - reboot modem ? Overnight shutdown? Leave modem alone?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It's just the control over the profiles that we don't have for fibre. We can still run tests on the line, provide services and raise faults as we do with any other service.
We have requested access to reset profiles but as this is a new technology it's not something that's going to happen straight away I'm afraid.
Unfortunately the best thing to do in this case is leave everything plugged in and let the line sort itself out.
TBSteve
Grafter

I ran the BT SpeedTester this afternoon.
It doesn't show that my upload speed is banded - profile is marked as 10000kbps, but I'm only getting 580.
This using my desktop machine, wired direct to the router.
Why am I not getting better upload?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Right - just checked further (and been given some very good advice as well - many thanks for that) and it'd be worth rebooting both router and modem to see if that improves the profile. If that doesn't work we'll need to raise another fault for you to get the profile adjusted, which may take a day or so but is still faster than the 10 -15 days quoted. I'll make sure to feed back on that for you as well.
Hope that helps.
TBSteve
Grafter

An on/off reboot or should I leave it off for a short (or long) period?
ffox
Pro

Power off, wait a few seconds then power on again.  (My neighbour didn't need to reboot his router - it was rebooting the modem that did the trick.)
TBSteve
Grafter

Hi Matt,
  Performed a reboot of the modem, router.
Make no difference.
I also tried a few speed tests over the last hour, upload speed stuck at 0.6, download at 20.
Cry
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi TBSteve,
I've had a word with one of our top faults guys and he confirms that there is nothing we can do unti the connection has been stable for this time. Sorry, I wish I had better new for you.
Jojo Smiley
TBSteve
Grafter

Thanks for the update Jojo.
The line has been stable now since BT replaced the line on the morning of the 25th, that's 6 days now, (although I did reboot the router and modem on Friday evening).
Line is still at the same speeds.

I guess I can live with that for a few more days.
Do I need to raise a ticket on day 10?
WWWombat
Grafter

Applying the 10 day period to FTTC does seem especially silly.
All evidence suggests that DLM finishes its job of automatically reducing speeds (where it believes necessary) within 2 days, but that DLM doesn't do anything to re-increase speeds after a major fix. That seems to only happen after an Openreach engineer (on-site) phones in to order the reset.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
ffox
Pro

There are several threads in the thinkbroadband forums which confirm what  WWWombat says. One actually quotes a BT Suppliers Information Note:
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4041754-fttc-dlm.html
lexusuk
Grafter

@TBSteve
There are four main factors that affect your broadband speed on an FTTx connection:
- The speed your Openreach modem connects to the Fibre cabinet.
- The line profile set on the RDSLAM which is the system in the cabinet that your modem connects with.
- The speed profile on the BT network sometimes referred to as the IP profile or the bRAS profile.
- The speed profile configured on our network layer sometimes referred to as the Plusnet profile.
I've tested your line today and can confirm in relation to the above:
- Openreach modem to cabinet speed is 20Mbps down and 0.8Mbps up.
- The line profile on the RDSLAM is:
Downstream 10Mbps - 20Mbps Interleaving High
Upstream 0.128Mbps - 0.8Mbps Interleaving On
So this means you can sync anywhere between 10Mbps and 20Mbps (but no higher than 20Mbps) downstream and up to 0.8Mbps upstream.  It is because of this RDSLAM profile that your sync rate is capped at 20Mbps down and 0.8Mbps up.  The RDSLAM profile is controlled by BT DLM systems and adjusts automatically.  We do not have any way to reset this from our side and we cannot arrange this to happen with BT via the faults process unless we arrange a site visit engineer.  However, even if we book an engineer we have no guarantee that the RDSLAM profile will be reset.
A re-sync of your Openreach modem will likely not cause the RDSLAM profile to change unless the DLM has scheduled a profile change already.  Normally if you are maxing out the profile you are currently on (which in this case you are) then the DLM will auto change the profile given 10 to 15 days.  If you would like to test this then please power off and power on your Openreach modem to cause the re-sync.  We will then retest the circuit to check if the RDSLAM profile has changed.
- The BT Network profile (aka bRAS profile/IP profile) will be configured very close to 20Mbps at the moment.  You can check the setting by running the BT speedtester @ http://www.speedtester.bt.com/  The bRAS/IP Profile reacts immediately to a change in sync.  This means that until the 20Mbps RDSLAM profile moves the IP profile will not change because the RDSLAM profile is capping your speed to 20Mbps.
- The Plusnet profile remains at 40Mbps unless we receive a report from BT to change this.  Your profile on our network is currently 20Mbps which matches the profile set BT side.  This will increase once your RDSLAM profile changes causing the sync rate to increase (or decrease) causing the IP/bRAS profile to change which then will result in us receiving a report from BT to change the profile our side.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I apologise that this post is technical in nature but I thought I'd address the subject as fully as possible whilst I'm here as there seems to be a lot of confusion across the web surrounding the BT FTTx DLM process.  To summarise the above, the profile at the cabinet is capping your speed to 20Mbps.  We cannot request this to be reset without booking an engineer but we don't take this as the first course of action as we have no guarantee than the engineer will request the line reset or have the line reset request accepted by the BT engineers helpdesk.  
Due to the above I would recommend that you allow the DLM to adjust your line automatically and we recommend holding a 10 to 15 day connection with the cabinet before rebooting your Openreach modem given the previous issues of this nature we have seen.  Your current connection time is 3 Days 17hrs 39min (on going).
If you would like to reboot your modem today to see if this prompts the RDSLAM profile to change then I'm happy to retest your line to check (just send me a PM) but I can't give you any guarantees that this will work as we cannot see any pending DLM changes our side when we test your line.  It also may cause the profile change to be delayed restarting the 10 to 15 days recommended connection length.
I'll look out for your reply.  Any questions feel free to ask.
TBSteve
Grafter

So I can't get my profile to update unless I reboot my modem, but if I do that, then my profile will not be updated as it's not be up for 15 days?
A classic Yossarian situation.
🙂
I might try a reboot this evening. It's been nearly a full week now since my line was replaced ( the 3 days xx hrs is only cause I rebooted the modem and router on Friday evening)