cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT contractor turns up, got wrong key

WhereInSussex
Dabbler

BT contractor turns up, got wrong key

House move, had to wait a week due to no cease from old residents, wait in for BT, contractor arrives...
"Sorry mate, not got padlock key for cabinet, so can't do it, you will have to rearrange"
Phone Plusnet, they say 30 min wait time.
No mobile signal, Plus can't be bothered to employ call centre staff. I am left with no phone, no broadband and nobody cares! If they did they would have a key and no 30 min wait.
Oh and contractor said "needs a BT engineer and getting one on a Friday, well.... you know what it is like"
5 REPLIES 5
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: BT contractor turns up, got wrong key

Hi WhereInSussex,
I'm very sorry to hear that the engineer was unable to gain access to the cabinet. I've just tried to call you, however, there was no answer.
I've just had a word with our suppliers regarding the engineers visit and they have extended their apologies for this. They have agreed to expedite the next engineers appointment and we'll be pushing for an appointment date next week. Can you confirm 3 appointment slots that you'd be available for next week starting Tuesday so that I can pass this information to our dedicated Expedites team who will be requesting this on Monday for you? AM appointments are between 8AM and 1PM and PM appointments are between 1PM and 6PM.
I've escalated the ticket on your account to our Expedites team to monitor and also sent you a text message. If you reply to the text message then this information will go straight to our Expedites team. Alternatively let us know on here and we can pass this information on.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi WhereInSussex,
Welcome to the forums and PN, albeit sad to hear of the disgraceful service you have received from the monopoly supplier to most of the UK Internet Service Providers (ISPs).  BTOR contractors turning up without the right keys for the cabinet is sadly a frequent occurrence  / excuse.  I suggest excuse, because I do not for one moment believe that each and every cabinet has a unique non-master key lock and that each engineer / contractor is expected to have a key for each and any cabinet e they might be called to service.
Frankly I think you have had an uncommitted non-local non-BTOR third party contractor who probably was more concerned about getting back home to family somewhere else in the country for the weekend.  I know that it is little consolation, but waiting for a proper BTOR engineer might be better for you in the long run, as they (looking at numerous reports on here) do a much better job than contractors.
As for the long wait times on the PN support desk, more support staff have been recruited over recent months, however given the high volume of BTOR poor service delivery (PN's circuit providers) there is little wonder that the service desk is swamped.
Hope you get your service installed soon!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

WhereInSussex
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies, I have text back requesting Tuesday AM.  The problem I have is that my mobile signal is pretty much non-existent without a femtocell plugged into the broadband, so I have to have the phone on a window sill upstairs - nightmare as all calls are missed.
The home phone has actually been connected now, so I so have that.  I must admit it did seem like an excuse, the whole "and you know, trying to get an engineer on a Friday afternoon...." thing was just rubbish!
What irks me is, when I had my last house FTTC'd it took THREE appointments because two were broken by BT, who didn't let me know on one occasion, due to the engineer being called to a "dangerous situation".  With such large appointment windows and weekday only appointments this is quite frankly not acceptable and I see nothing has changed in BTOR land since my last let down in 2012.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Thank you for your time on the phone, as discussed your appointment is booked in for this Thursday(16th).
Please let us know how it goes.
WhereInSussex
Dabbler

Thank you for arranging this, it is appreciated.
The delay from BT though is unacceptable and I'd be interested to hear their justification for it.
I also note that if the engineer comes out and I'm not in, then I have to pay £50.  Is this a one way street, or should I expect a £50 cheque in the post from BT for them sending an engineer out to install a fibre line without the equipment that is required to install a fibre line?
Of the four appointments I have had through Plusnet for BT to do work in the last 18 months, for two jobs, 75% of them have been "no show" or "got the wrong keys mate".
As consumers, in locations where there are no alternatives (ie most of the country), at what point do BTOR stop hiding behind this "you need to speak to your provider" rubbish and stand up and admit that they are understaffed, their contractors are uncommitted and their failure to provide a reliable appointment service does not impact on the providers (as any fool knows the provider can only do what BTOR say) and that they are letting people down in a massive way?
And when they do mess up, we get threatened with a £50 fine!